Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Help! Is this normal?

Kaleen Marie
@kaleen-marie
12 years ago
7 posts

Basically at the root of my dreads they are wide and flat. I am worried that my hair doesn't like how I sectioned it because some of my sections are kind of big. Some probably an inch and a half, maybe just an inch, but I have thick hair. So should I comb out the bigger sections and let them do there own thing, or leave it? Will that flat wide section tighten up? Or will they be that wide? They are about three inches wide the way they spread out. Hopefully I'm explaining this so you guys know what I mean. Thanks for the help!

updated by @kaleen-marie: 01/13/15 09:24:40PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

3 inches wides wide it dont matter that they are flat and wide but 3 inches covers a pretty wide area ansd may someday pull painfully

it is up to u what to do just know the shape dont matter at all only concern would be the wideness and how it will pull

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Candace2
@candace2
12 years ago
5 posts

When i did my dreads. I did absolutely no seperating. I washed my hair with baking soda, and went outside for a couple days and my hair began to section itself. So i have some dreads that are teeny tiny and some that are big ol honkers. I would just leave em, and let em do their thannng!!

Tara C
@tara-c
12 years ago
644 posts

It's up to you, but I had two dreads that had sections like that, spread out at the roots, and after 8 months they still weren't locking up at the roots, and they were also getting annoying, so I combed them out. I actually have six baby dreads now from those two dreads I combed out, so it's your choice, but I, personally, would comb them out and let them section themselves so they dread better and more comfortably.

Arielle Vogel
@arielle-vogel
12 years ago
24 posts
I know my hair dissent like the way I sectioned it. I have some mmombos that seem to be grabbing hairs from the nearby smaller dreads. I also have a few tiny dreads that I just noticed are starting to appear. I'm just going to let it do what it wants to and I think it will sort itself out .
Heather
@heather
12 years ago
1,291 posts

mine are the same way. i hate the ones in the front because they kind of stick up. my family calls them my cat ears. i think when the hair knots closer to the scalp the hair starts to bunch up. i'm thinking that with time they'll eventually pull in (fingers crossed).

Kaleen Marie
@kaleen-marie
12 years ago
7 posts

Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking I will just leave it alone. I'm kind of attached already. And if in a few months they don't knot up tighter I'll comb them out then I guess? I just think that I need more than 47 (I recounted) dreads or when they shrink they will be HUGE probably. I guess we'll see.

Kaleen Marie
@kaleen-marie
12 years ago
7 posts

The sections are only an inch, but it's stilled knotted from the TNR except the roots and tips and above where it's knotted it sort of fans out.

soaring eagle said:

3 inches wides wide it dont matter that they are flat and wide but 3 inches covers a pretty wide area ansd may someday pull painfully

it is up to u what to do just know the shape dont matter at all only concern would be the wideness and how it will pull

Heather
@heather
12 years ago
1,291 posts

you'll probably be fine. your still in the early stages. the sections i'm having problems with are a bit on the bigger side but i have thin hair so the dreads themselves are only about the size of my ring finger. i'm beyond the point of combing out and ripping them in two is not something i want to do. i'm sure they'll work themselves out eventually:)

Kaleen Marie said:

Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking I will just leave it alone. I'm kind of attached already. And if in a few months they don't knot up tighter I'll comb them out then I guess? I just think that I need more than 47 (I recounted) dreads or when they shrink they will be HUGE probably. I guess we'll see.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form