dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Organic Root Stimulator Products

Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

Hello All!

I did try loosely combing the product forums but didn't see a topic on these products (if there is one started then, I apologize and hope I can be pointed in the right direction!)

I have 3 products that I used to use when I had braids/extensions and was curious about whether or not I should use them with my natural hair dreads. Here are the links to the products and my questions~

The first product is the Herbal Cleanse :
This is a dry application style shampoo and I am thinking about using it when I go camping or participate in faires (ie. no showers available.) It claims to help with build up but I wonder.... Also, would this be a good thing to use on a regular basis in between shampooing (as it claims as well?)

The 2nd product is the Shea Butter Moisturizing Lotion :
I have read about people using shea butter or Aloe to soften their dreads. I don't think of this as something that would have to be used all the time but "as needed" to alleviate dryness. Thoughts or experiences?

And lastly, Anti-itch Scalp Oil :
I definitely have itchy scalp (it has been something I've been plagued with since becoming pregnant with my son many years ago) and my scalp seems to be giving me "combination skin"-type issues (ie. Too oily = itchy, too dry = itchy; no happy medium found.) I'm wondering if a product like this might help someone like me keep the itchiness down (since the more I scratch, the more flakes I get) or is it just going to gunk up my hair?

The links for each of the products lead to descriptions about their use and special ingredients. I've had people swear up and down about how great these work but these very same people have more ethnic hair types than my own (no offense intended by this comment.)

Thank you for reading and responding. :)

updated by @valrie: 02/14/15 10:59:58AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

they are for african hair and im not convinced they are any good for that either

i know there uis 1 discussion about the actual root stimulater and it completely ruining someones dreads

have u tried the www.dreadlockshampoo.com bars? i bet u have no more itch

if theres no showers at a fest there is when u get hiome i w=ouldnt use dry sghampoo id rince in a river and wash when i get home

or use bronners but cary water at kleast 300 feet from the water sourse

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

I haven't used the dreadlock shampoo but I do have Bronners liquid. I work at Ren Faires which there is a lot of dust and I am against the leaving of greywater. I've used dry shampoos on my pre-dreaded hair but wanted to get an opinion from someone in regards to residuals in dreaded hair since I was able to brush it out before.

I've used this brands locking gel (a long time ago) and it was okay, just took longer to dry than others I've experimented with. So I thought I would look into their natural style products.

As for Bronners liquid vs. dreadlock bars: What is the general preference? Is one better for baby dreads vs. mature dreads?

Thanks again, in advance, for any and all opinions.

Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

PS: Went ahead and bookmarked dreadlocksshampoo.com so that I can give them a try later. I will only change methods after about 1 month so I don't over-stress my scalp. I'm going with Bronner's for a month and if that doesn't seem to help I will definitely give them a try. :)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

the liquids better for young dreads that are tangle resistent the bars are great for most dreads but especialy mature dreads

i would think the dry shampoo doesnt clean and does leave stuff behindu could wash with baking soda at renfair

--
Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

It's hard to say for sure. I use the liquid dry shampoo in lieu of the powders or sprays. Then take a wet towel and wipe it off (and wash the towel at home.) I definitely felt fresher and cleaner afterward but I did wash with a kelating shampoo when I got home. I'd think my regimen would have to change since my hair is no longer free flowing anymore (hence all the questions.)

:)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

frsher i think its got witch hazle in it ..and alcahol i think it will make u feel frewsher but not really do much to clean

btw

bronners biodegrades fast..in soil..slow in water thats why if u use bhrionners u cary the water 300 feet from any water and use it there and bronners is the only soap id use in the woods (further then 300 feet if thers a big sloape towards the water)

--
Mechell Arant
@mechell-arant
12 years ago
56 posts

i found an ingredient list on another site, most of those do have way too much oil for dreads. i supposed they'd work for braids just fine, or even really corse ethnic dreads if we're talking only one of the products at a time.

with the powders it would seem hard to shake out the excess...

Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

Thanks you two. If the Bronner's works out for me then I will definitely take it on my trips. I never understood the dry powders that are just "brushed out" because usually brushing out from the root (or a type of hair brush scalp massage) tends to loosen soil but, in full hair like mine, takes up residence throughout. The liquid was easy to wipe off.

"In seeking wisdom, the first step is silence, the second listening, the third remembering, the fouth practicing, the fifth -- teaching others."
~Ibn Gabirol

Mechell Arant
@mechell-arant
12 years ago
56 posts

i'm not sure why you couldn't 'freshen' with a witch hazel/essential oil mix after some thought...even the vodka formula i've seen used as a root stimulator actually likely works because it would lift the scalp's production of sebum...just sharing the thoughts that hit later...

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form