Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Question on Sectioning with twist and rip

Kevin4
@kevin4
12 years ago
25 posts

So after a few years of going back and forth about dreading I finally made the decision about a week ago to go ahead with it.

To kind of cut back on loss of length and ease of use without any 'tools' I decided to do the twist and rip method, worked great but my only problem is the new dreads are tiny. I used 1-2 inch sections thinking that would be around how big the loc would be. My big question is will they eventually grow out to the size of the section?

Also my hair is alot thinner in and around the front compared to the sides and back so I dont know if i need to make them bigger in the front and all 1" in the back?

Ill attach a picture to show you the 2 in the front around a little larger then an inch and are like a little smaller than a pencil and the on on the side is easily double around 2" inch + and is just a little fatter than a pencil.

updated by @kevin4: 02/14/15 06:57:05AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

2 inches is huge they will be huge and u will lose alot of length..

why do u want dreads that big?

your wrist is 2 inches

thats how big the dreads will get i wouldnt recomend any over 1 inch

now imagine if 2 accisdently congo..it happens .. thats as thick as your bicept..

yea they start off thin but they thicken..and..sometimes combine without u intending

you could end up with dreads way too big to manage

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

the 2 in the front dont look like 2 inch sections tho

but take the elastic bands out!

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Kevin4
@kevin4
12 years ago
25 posts

Like I said, the ones in the front are around an inch NOT 2 inches, the ones on the side are around 2 inches. My wrist isnt 2 inches but I get what you mean. I dont want dreads that big but they just formed very small. That's why I was asking if they remain that big or grow to be the size of the section...

Thanks for the reply guess Ill leave the front and take out the sides and redo.

Tara C
@tara-c
12 years ago
644 posts

They do indeed grow to the size of the section, more or less. Two inches is...very thick. It doesn't seem it, I had mine done to roughly two-inch sections, then realised how thick they'd get and splitted some of them. And some of them are still thick enough to make drying them a nuisance. I mean, I love thick dreads, they look cool to me, so if that's what you want, it's great, but just be aware of the issues that they can be kind of inconvenient at times.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

I have about 5 locks with sections between 2-3 inches. The smaller ones are between 1-2 inches. Those ones can take up to 12 hours to dry, and the bigger ones can take as long as 24 hours. If you really want locks that big, PM me and I can give you some advice on how to help dry them a little faster, but in reality, they can be a real pain to dry, especially if you need them dry in a hurry if you have to go somewhere. I'd leave the front ones as is, and redo the fat ones to makes them smaller.

And like Eagle said, take out those bands. If your locks are going to be fat, they will be heavy. And bands cause kinks that weaken the integrity of the lock. In time they won't be able to support the weight, and can cause locks to fall out or break off.

Kevin4
@kevin4
12 years ago
25 posts

Alright, bands are gone. Was told they'd help form for the first few weeks but if they just do damage Ill lose em.

Most locs are now around an inch even though for the time being they look a little crazy :D

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Cool. Good.

1 inch sections? That's about as big as you probably want to go. Any bigger and your looking at locks the width of your wrist or wider. Locks that big look cool, but trust me, they suck to dry. It's not so bad in summer when I am outside a lot, but in winter, you don't want your hair wet for that long. 1 inch sections should be fine. If you find that they take an age to dry let me know I'll try to give you a hand

Kevin4
@kevin4
12 years ago
25 posts

I dont think I can make them any smaller. Its been really difficult to twist and rip with just a square inch of hair cause its already so thin, I could also be bad at visualizing an inch.. but its gotta be somewhat close.

Dreaded Shredder
@dreaded-shredder
12 years ago
25 posts

I'm not an expert on this by any means, but... in your pic I can tell you have really fine and thin hair. I did TnR to my hair so I understand how difficult it can be with a teeny tiny section. They will start to thicken up pretty soon. I'm only at 3.5 months and I can't believe how thick some of mine are, especially when I purposely made my sections very small. As ridiculous as a tiny section seems, and as tedious as TNR can be on a small section, stick it out. You hair will begin to fill in as they mature and you'll be happy. :) Cheers.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form