Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

what to do about loose hair?

Angela Dawn
@angela-dawn
12 years ago
4 posts

So my dreads are about a month and a half now. i used the backcombing with a mix of twist and rip. and ive tried to find suggestions on getting loose hairs to stick to a dread, but apparently it doesnt seem to be an issue with anyone else.. but i have chunks of hair that just doesnt want to be in a dread. and its not just like little roots, its like full length hairs. ill post pics so you know what i mean. but ive read on here that most ppl dont suggest croqueting it into a nearby dread, but is there any way to help then join a dread faster?

updated by @angela-dawn: 02/14/15 05:26:26AM
Trina Sandress
@trina-sandress
12 years ago
87 posts

You just need patience! It is a process. You are going to experience more loose hair in the beginning. Just embrace it. All I would do is jut keep your dreads clean and seperate them if you don't want them to join together. It is natural.

You can get yourself a wool tam put it on your dreads during the day and just leave them alone. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

your only a month in

they will be moree loose hair then dreead for a couple months

all u need to dso is wait

and dont try to get loose hair in

if your trying your probly slowing progress

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
hippiegal
@hippiegal
12 years ago
182 posts

I had a lot of those early on, too, and it looked a crazy mess. I thought I'd be stuck with it forever. But by nine months now most of my hair is knotting, except for a few bits near the front. So I know that slowly but inevitably, all hair will knot up. Yours too. This may sound impossible, but try forget about it. Don't crochet, don't fiddle with it, don't obsess about it in front of the mirror,don't freak. Just get up every day and do whatever you do. If people ask, say it's a work-in-progress. Some more months down the track you'll be wowed by the difference. :)

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

at 1 month, you should have loose hairs. It's natural. That's how they progress. I'm 5 years in and still have loose hairs. You might not be able to see them in my pics, but definitely in some of my vids.

Don't worry about it. They gt pulled into other locks in time, or knot on their own. Sometimes it's just the angel of the root that makes them take longer, but it won't last forever.

Angela Dawn
@angela-dawn
12 years ago
4 posts

thanks guys. i definitely struggle with the patience. one of my friends got dreads about a week before i did, and she went about things totally different. she uses wax, crochets, even rebackcombs. and hers LOOK like good dreads. so i often get comments about me not taking care of my dreads, or im not doing it right.. but i dont want to ruin my hair. im just glad im not the only one with this problem. :]

MamaTurtle
@mamaturtle
12 years ago
1 posts

I'm 4 months into my dreads, and I had the same problem in the first month or so. I had three dreads that would not dread. They kept coming undone and were driving me crazy. I finally had enough, and seperated the troublesome dreads into two. So instead of three thicker dreads, I had six smaller ones. After doing that, I had zero trouble with them, aside from the normal poof. My hair was straight and smooth, so it was a wee bit harder for me.

If dreads teach you anything, it's how to be patient. Heck,my dreads tend to be flat instead of round and I've got similar comments as you. Just roll with it, everything will be okay :)

hippiegal
@hippiegal
12 years ago
182 posts

You friend's dreads look 'good' because of all the manipulating and products, but what's the bet she'll end up redoing them your way. By that time yours will be strong, clean, healthy and look way, way better!

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Your friends "look" good, but they won't lock up well, and will be weak. The wax inhibits knots, and the crochet hook breaks long strands of hair into smaller strands of hair. So instead of having her locks attached to her head, she'll have locked hairs attached to other locked hairs attached to other locked hairs and so on until the last bunch is attached to her head. I'd rather know that the hair at the bottom of my lock is the same hair growing out of my scalp.

Rebecca2
@rebecca2
12 years ago
2 posts

I have loose hair and I just don't care anymore. I honestly did at first and I wanted them to be nice asap and now I understand and I am okay with just letting it happen, why rush it, and it's fun watching them change and see the difference. Rewarding really. Good luck and have fun! :D <3

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form