Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

finding the sweet spot!

Rachel A.
@rachel-a
12 years ago
5 posts

My "dreads" are two weeks old, and I have been trying to find out when I need to wash, I have a lot of long, super fine, super straight hair that is very prone to oiliness and so far the dreading process has been sloooooow...( or maybe I am impatient?)I have a few dreads that I have tnr'd but mostly I am just beading and neglecting the rest. my hair doesn't knot easily it has a few clumps here and there but most of it remains knot free, you can see my pic below is day after washing.

I wash with the water/bronners/baking soda/tea tree oil/sea salt combo with a very diluted ACV rinse about every three days

My problem is that if I don't wash at least every three days I get super oily hair and it undreads but my hair also seems to really soften up after I wash it too!

Should I wait longer to wash? should I wash more often? I have been pouring over these forums trying to find the answer and can't seem to figure out what I should do.

I know two weeks is super young but just wanting to make sure I am doing it right for the healthiest and most bad ass of dreads :)

thanks, this is my first post here on the dreadlockssite

updated by @rachel-a: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

2 weeks is impatient and not slow at all but adjustijg oiliness takes time id maybe skip the bronners and use just baking soda for a bit

evrty 3-4 days should be fine u can maybe add somre thyme

in a week or 2 ot 3 if your not tto oily on day 3 try to go 4

and till then use very lil acv

try that see how it goes

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
James Turk
@james-turk
12 years ago
107 posts

I think it's different for everybody, I've been doing BS wash for a little over a month and I am now starting to produce less oil, I was very oily as well. I don't really have a set rule for when I wash, I do it whenever I feel like it. When they mature I will probably do it once or twice a week, but right now I average every other day. I tnr'd half and will let the rest go natural. but every other day for right now works best for me, but like I said I will gradually reduce how often I will wash as they mature.

Rachel A.
@rachel-a
12 years ago
5 posts

thanks, yeah I am a " I want it yesterday" kinda girl which is part of the reason why I am doing dreads, a lesson in patience and letting things be. I will take your advice wise sir :)

soaring eagle said:

2 weeks is impatient and not slow at all but adjustijg oiliness takes time id maybe skip the bronners and use just baking soda for a bit

evrty 3-4 days should be fine u can maybe add somre thyme

in a week or 2 ot 3 if your not tto oily on day 3 try to go 4

and till then use very lil acv

try that see how it goes

Heather
@heather
12 years ago
1,291 posts

my hair is pretty similar to yours and i generally will wash every other day or every 3 days. basically when i feel my scalp is in need of a washing. i don't want the oils on my scalp to migrate down my hair as i sleep and soften things up. my journey has been very slow too but its rewards are great:)

Tied up in knots
@tied-up-in-knots
12 years ago
202 posts
Ditch the bronners. I used to love it but since switchingto just bs and acv when I do use bronners my hair feels gross much faster than usual.
Rachel A.
@rachel-a
12 years ago
5 posts

I washed this morning without the bronners and I am already noticing a big difference, I actually have looping going on, so exciting!! so thanks all for the advice.

one more quick question what is the difference between using apple cider vinegar and regular vinegar on hair?

Danika Skalet
@danika-skalet
12 years ago
37 posts

I have the same type of hair, pre-dreading I had to wah it daily it was so oily once I started dreading though I washed every 2-3 days 4 at the very max and by then I was starting to feel icky. Now I'm almost on my 3rd month and my hair doesnt have to be washed nearly as often, now I wash it about twice a week, occasionally once a week if I'm not paying attention though. Just give it time, and yes dreading is a great experience to gain patience =)

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form