Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

letter to employers concerning dreadlocks

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

I had written one of these before but was unable to find it and was asked to write one again so here goes.

it will need editing of course.

to the employer (or prospective employer of)____

I am writing you today concerning your employees desire to grow (or keep) their dreadlocks and to keep them natural and healthy.

We understand as a employer you have a company image to maintain, however in countries that have a freedom of religion the company policy cannot contradict the civil writes of the employee. This does not mean they have to be rastafarian since dreadlocks are a part of just about every religion. and I know asan employer you'd never deny a employees right to wear a yamika, a burka or any other religiously required style of dresss or hairstyle. Dreadlocks are no different. In fact the courts have ruled over and over that dreadlocks are protected by law.

Keep in mind also that dreadlocks grown for religious or spiritual reasons are often required to be unmaintained (but clean) this means requiring the employee to "tidy up" loose hairs, to cover while at work, or do anything to force a uniformity can go against their beliefs.

Even in the case of dreads that are not religious or spiritual in nature requiring too much maintenance is harmful to the dreadlocks as an example, overtightening the roots to prevent loose hairs at the scalp can slowly cause traction alopecia and eventual balding, and can weaken the roots causing them to thin and break. Other forms of maintenance to control frizz, like using wax or crochet hooks come with problems as well. Wax builds up causung dreads to trap dirt and water and start to stink, and crochet breaks more hairs then it fixes so requires conbstant repair which makes them more frizzy unless you keep crocheting, which makes them weak.

I encourage you to enter into a dialog with your employee and come to an agreement on what they are willing to do to look presentable, although in the end it will be their decision as to what they are willing to do.

Furthermore I want to touch on reasons to let someone drad whether itsfor spiritual reasons or simply fashion. Dreadlocks are meaningful to those who dread, they give you strength, confidence and a ake your employee happy, and feel more like themselves. often in corporate environments individuals can feel a loss of self, everyone dresing the same, the conformity the indiviual becomes lost this can lead to depression and a feeling like your just going through the motions to get through the day.

gbeing happier and healthier and feeling like the individuality of the person is respected and accepted will make your employee happier within the work environment and make them want to stay and work harder for you.

if the employee on the other hand feels that they are not accepted or resp\ected they may slack off, or want to find a job where they ware respected.

ofcoure it is reasonable to require the dreadlocks be clean and if willing styled nicely or pulled back to be more presentable. I believe that if you have a conversation with your employee about what they are willing to do you can come to a reasonable understanding without requiring them to do anything harmful to their dreads to fit your needs.

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 04/23/19 01:57:22AM
Alice Lane
@alice-lane
12 years ago
1 posts

LOVE this

amanda5
@amanda5
12 years ago
12 posts

thank you. this may just be very helpful to me in the next week or two :)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

cool good luck

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

jobs are hard to come by in this economy just ksep trying you will find 1 you want to stick with

--
Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

This is great and I appreciate you sharing. I was a little bit apprehensive about looking for work because our economic times can offer en employer the opportunity to be picky about who they hire. I will just keep my chin up and maintain confidence and hope for the best.

Good luck to all of you other job seekers out there!!

Brooke Weber
@brooke-weber
12 years ago
7 posts

Thank you so much for this. I feel that there is a very widespread misunderstanding of dreadlocks, or better: Many people have given locks a bad name by waxing and having dreads that have the rotting smell. I'll be job hunting within the next month, and I plan on keeping this letter in mind.

Doogie
@doogie
12 years ago
321 posts

Would this be something nice to have handy for an interview?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

probably yea..a modified version anyway

--
Star Gryphon
@star-gryphon
12 years ago
190 posts

I'm sure this letter has helped at least one employee possibly come to some sort of understanding regarding dreadlocks in the work place!

I'll admit that even though I have not had any problems getting or staying employed because of my hair, I am feeling slightly apprehensive about my plan to start looking for more gainful employment here in the near future. I have a BS in Physical Anthropology and I wish more jobs in a related field would open up. When they do, getting the position becomes highly competitive.

One of the options I'm going to look into is to apply for entry level positions at one of the local credit unions. Lately when I go into my own credit union I've been taking note of how employees dress and groom themselves. I haven't paid attention to tattoos and piercings yet. I have also yet to see a dreaded employee.

I'm thinking that I might just see if there is someone who is in charge of hiring that I can talk to and see what the company policy is or how they feel about hiring someone with dreads who will be in a position of contact with customers on a regular basis....

updated by @star-gryphon: 07/24/15 12:04:10AM
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form