Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

New to this, thinking of going the natural route of growing dreadlocks, need help please!

stephen kennedy
@stephen-kennedy
12 years ago
3 posts

Hello everyone, despite having some knowledge on dreadlocks I do not have dreadlocks (yet), i use to think that the only way to get dreadlocks was by using products (DHHQ, Knotty Dreads (or whatever they are called)), I had no idea how wrong I was and in fact I was going to try it a while back. But I learned that the companies that offer dreadlock products are "evil" the stuff kills the dreadlocks and is bad for your hair. Any who I have got back into the idea of getting dreadlocks but I am faced with a problem, I do not know how to start really.

I was thinking of doing the natural, freeform way of growing dreadlocks because it is the only way that really interests me. I looked up around here and other places on how to start and all the info is the same, just don't comb your hair and wash it a couple times a week with the baking soda wash and it shall grow. I am kinda nervous to start this because I go to school and have a job and I do not want to show up with my hair sticking up looking like I came back from walking across a desert, when I sleep my hair pokes up and looks all messy and I do not understand how I can keep my hair down without combing it, so the only way to keep it down would be washing my hair more often, then i was told by websites and on the forum to wash it around 3 times a week. So how can i make it not messy and sticking up, I do not want to look like a hobo or any sorts of that.

So If I got it, the natural route is just: 1. don't comb your hair 2. wash it a few times a week 3. and leave it alone? but ya I think I just need an answer on how I can make myself look "presentable" (not have hair sticking out everywhere) and still grow dreadlocks the natural way. I am just not sure how to start and maintain the dreadlocks in the natural route, please help.

Also what shampoo do your recommend?

P.S: I have fine wavy/straight hair and it is about 5 inches long if that helps a bit.

Thank you,

Stphane

updated by @stephen-kennedy: 01/13/15 09:22:38PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

either the baking soda mix or www,dreadlockshampoo.com wait till you have 6 inches it wont dread tiko 6 inches so thats 2 months less mess

it will go through an organic transformation sectiioning tangling dreading looping Wear a tam

wear a scarf

or just dont v=care

remenmvpber to seperate

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
stephen kennedy
@stephen-kennedy
12 years ago
3 posts

Thank you Mr. Eagle I will keep the tam and scarf in mind, i will see how it is, prob wont be that bad. And yes I will remember to separate, I dont want any congos =P

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

someday u might want congos :)

i seperated fir 17 years then stopped for 4 only recenl[]tly started again..somewhat

tho eveb[nj in the 27 i seperted all the time i got as few acu[identasl congos

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
stephen kennedy
@stephen-kennedy
12 years ago
3 posts

I guess your right I wont know until i get there, maybe I might.

Jackie C.
@jackie-c
12 years ago
34 posts
Go the natural route. You won't regret it. After just over a month, I find myself caring less and less about how others might view me and I'm really enjoying watching my hair as it's doing it's own thing. It's been a very spiritually enriching experience.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form