Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Tidy dreadies

Tessa Smith
@tessa-smith
12 years ago
59 posts

My dreads are a year and almost 3 months now and I'm really starting to see a lot more loose hairs then I used to have. Is this common for 1 year dreads? They look messier and I am just curious when will the loose hairs start to dread and when will my hair look more like dreadlocks and not a big ball of mess? Also what could I do to make them look nicer?

updated by @tessa-smith: 01/13/15 09:21:25PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

they look fine they look better with age just let em do what they do but they will get loose hairs when u wash and seperate its normal they will dread nothing needs to be done about it at all

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Tara C
@tara-c
12 years ago
644 posts

I honestly think most of us are self-critical of our dreads. Like...all the loose hairs make them look untidy to you, but most people will hardly even see them. You'll always have loose hairs, but most of them will join dreads or make their own ones, just gotta be patient. As for making them look nicer...well, dreads look awesome to me anyway, so I don't know. If you mean neater, you can just tie them back I guess.

Rainbow Fortune
@rainbow-fortune
12 years ago
123 posts

It is perfectly normal. And you better get used to them, there's a lot more coming. :) But there are things you can do to help. Today I'm having an extra-frizzy-loose-hair-going-wild day, and I just tied them back extremely lightly. It makes you look 'presentable', and it can help on the days when you just want a change. And it sure does make a change, my lover barely recognized me today, and he told me I look like a pirate. :D

You shouldn't tie them too often, though. They need movement.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

mine are 5 years old, and I still have loose hairs. It comes from new hairs growing in and not yet locking or getting sucked into other locks. In time they will. But then more hair will grow in and take their place. after a while those loose hairs will be less noticeable.

But your locks look great. I wouldn't worry about them. When you look at yourself in the mirror, you are seeing yourself more closely and more critically than anyone else is likely to see you.

If they really bother you you could always tie them with a wrap to a lock nearby or put a bead over a lock and tuck the loose hair in with it. That'll help coax them into tangling with a lock.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

use shadows not mirrors

in shadows u see dreads in mirrors u see loose hairs

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form