Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Motorcycles & Dreadlocks :)

Joni Marie Hash
@joni-marie-hash
12 years ago
16 posts
My husband has a motorcycle. when I used to ride on the back of it last summer, I didn't always wear my helmet. on the days I didn't wear it, obviously my hair would blow all over the place. when we'd get to wherever we were going i'd always have to finger comb these huge knots and tangles out of my hair, I damn near had a few dreads goin' on a few times. it's almost riding season again, and I was thinking: if I rode without a helmet now, would it be good for my dreads? don't get me wrong. I'm not thinking oh, I'll never wear mmy helmet so my dreads mature faster. it's just a thought I had that maybe someone else on here has had some kind of experience with :) whaddaya think?
updated by @joni-marie-hash: 02/15/15 08:32:00AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,639 posts

is speeding up dreads worth risking brain damage or death?

im in a wheelchair thanks to a motorcyckle and a pothole

thank god i had a helmet on or the onkly good id be to thissite is a drool provider

if you ride a motorcycle..wear a helmet no exceptions

hell

you dont even have to have an accident to end up brain damaged or dead at 70 mph hitting a birg]d on the forehead is all it takes

or a rock kicked up by a truck

or a thousand other thighs that could be thrown at your head

how many times ya been in a car and someone runs something over and it flies up and hits the windshield?

u think my typos are bad now? imagine if i didn't wear a helmet that day

i cringe everything i see someone on a motorcycle without a helmet

be a dread head not a brain smear on some stretch of highway

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Joni Marie Hash
@joni-marie-hash
12 years ago
16 posts
I'm sorry :( with riding season coming up it's just something that came up while me and my husband were talking about riding. I was just wondering about it.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,639 posts

ride safe ..dread in a convertable

or at the beach

but i]on the bike wear yourt helmet..brains are soft squishy things and even just a bruised brain heals slowly

--
Joni Marie Hash
@joni-marie-hash
12 years ago
16 posts
alright. I'll definately keep that in mind. sorry again. I didn't mean to sound so ignorant. like I said, it was more just something I was wondering about.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,639 posts

nah u didnt i jut didnt want ya hurt

few years back i was in vermont vermont everyine rides without helmets and they hardly pay attehntion to lines in roads

we saw 2 bikes race by us ignoring the lanes..as soon as they passed us i knew thety were in for trouble

bout 10 miles further up the road we catch up to them

both bikes were under a truck

1 guy was a road smear endu[ing under tge rruck the other was embeded in the trucks windshgeild

they neverr had a chance

that was months after my own accident so ofv[]course i knew how dakmn lucky i was

but seeing something like that u neverr wantto see ayone u know ride withoyt a helmet

and tyhese were just yoyr average street bikes not those crazy rice burners suoperbikes kids ride these dys

thoseare death traps

--
Joni Marie Hash
@joni-marie-hash
12 years ago
16 posts
well thanks for the concern then :) wow. I couldn't imagine seeing a person in that state. makes me cringe :S and I had no idea about your accident. I mean, I saw your pictures and knew you were in a wheelchair, but I had no idea.. kind of makes me feel like an ass for posting this. lol. anyways, I'm definately glad you were smart about it and wore your helmet :) you seem like an extraordinary soul.sorry, kind of went off on a tangent there. back to the motorcycle thing. I shall definately never neglect my helmet :)
Ryan C
@ryan-c
12 years ago
29 posts

I've noticed that occasionally, soaring eagle tends to go on a tangent, and avoid the question being asked completely to prove a drastically different point, so ill address the question u actually asked...

Ive got 1-week old dreads and an '05 Yamaha VStar 1100 Classic, and I was wondering the same recently.

Depending on how long you've been working on the locks, ive encountered a few ideas to try...

If they are new, id think that letting them fly could end up tangling the roots together, resulting in a lot of work later to separate them. Its been suggested to wear a wool cap underneath a helmet. I haven't tried it yet, since I only have one acrylic and polyester cap. The hat and my dreads were both really thick, so i coudlnt fit my helmet on over them, but Ive been told a wool cap WILL help to knot up your roots under a helmet. Now that my dreads are starting to tighten up a bit, I need to give it a try with a wool cap.

Aside from that, I've been riding short distances with that sameacrylic/polyester cap, just to keep my hair down. In turn, its done a great job with knotting up the ends (which helps keep them separated after I wash them).

So yes, it would help them mature faster, but if they are new, I'd stick with wearing a cap to let just the roots get knotted to avoid more work than is necessary.

As a fellow rider, I can only plead that you do wear your helmet as often as you can. Get a wool cap to help the roots develop, and the hair hanging out will still knot up in the wind. Of course I'm guilty of not wearing my helmet every ride, and goddamn it feels so good right after a baking soda wash, but like Soaring eagle persistently mentioned, its never a bad idea to wear your helmet!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,639 posts

statisticly short rides are most dangerouse most accidents happen qwithin 5 miles of home in fact every motorcycle accident i had was within 1 mile except 1 and that was within 5

and i did answer the question but there was a more important point that needed to be made

--
Kelley
@kelley
12 years ago
7 posts

I have a convertible and dreads that are only 2 months old. I had posted on here my concern with the wind and baby dreads.I was advised to 'blow baby blow'! as the hair knots up faster. I may have to spend more time seperating later, but the wind continues to be great for my dreads. I may show up at the grocery store with fuzzy crazy-ass dreads, but they are happy ones!

Although i worked EMS for 10 years and scraped up a few guys off the road,(some with and some without helmets)I support the choice towear a helmet or not.

So, get on that bike and think to yourself, 'blow baby blow!!!!!!

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form