Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dread newbie wanting to start dreads, advice? :)

Jordan Stead
@jordan-stead
12 years ago
1 posts

Hey everyone! I guess I'll start off by saying my name is Jordan, and I'm from BC Canada. Yes, it is definately awesome here andI love it. Any ways, I currently don't have dreads but I've always kind of wanted them. Ever since I played a game called Habbo Hotel way back in the day and one of the hairstyles you could choose was dreads. Getting dreads has always been a thought in the back of my head but I was always too scared and I didn't want to put in a bunch of time and effort trying to get them, just to fail.

But it doesn't matter anymore because I have finally decided that I'm gonna go for it!

I've been growing my hair out for a while, but it's still not very long. It is just over 6"(just measured :p ) now, which is getting about long enough to dread I think? From what I've seem I will probably go with the Rip and Tear method(I think thats what its called), because it seems like the best ratio of quick dreadsto natural dreads. I'm not expecting to have perfectly natty dreads in one night, but I would like to see a bit of their shape right away so I have something to look at and smile :)

So basically I was just wondering if you guys could offer me any advice on starting brand new dreads for the first time. I really really really(etc..) don't want to do it wrong and have to cut off my hair or something! That would be awful!!

Also sometimes I can get pretty bad dandruff, and I don't want it getting caught in my dreads and making them all smelly. It would probably make my scalp itch horribly too and I definately don't want that.

Is there any products that can help with the dandruff situation? Or and products in general to help with growing healthy dreads? I want to do this right the first time so any help would be hugely appreciated!! Types of shampoo you use, the way you started, common mistakes you've seen, any help is good help!

Thank you guys!!

Btw, this site is awesome!!! good work soaring eagle! I was considering buying dreadheadHQ stuff until I found this site, thank god I didn't! :)

updated by @jordan-stead: 01/13/15 09:20:36PM
Erin2
@erin2
12 years ago
29 posts

My advice is to just keep your hair clean, using a residue-free shampoo or just plain baking soda. Sea salt water can help too. Products aren't necessary. Just separate and wash thoroughly every 2-3 days. For itchiness, try adding some rosemary essential oil to the mix. I don't have any definitive advice about dandruff, other than to stay away from harsh chemicals and eat healthy. Maybe someone else knows of an herb that will help.

Good luck and welcome to the site. This place saved my dreads.

Tied up in knots
@tied-up-in-knots
12 years ago
202 posts

I've been known to have wicked bad dandruff. I have virtually no dandruff now and I give all the credit to Baking Soda, Apple Cider Vinegar, Tea Tree Oil, and Rosemary Oil.

I add the oils to the BS rinse. I use 10-20 drops of Tea Tree Oil per gallon of water and 5-10 of Rosemary. It works a treat. I also have an essential oil scalp spray that I made using just water and oils in a small spray bottle. 5-10 drops of tea tree oil, 5 drops rosemary, 5 drops citronella, 10-15 drops vanilla and the rest filled with water. It makes me smell like candy. I only use it when I get the itchies or feel like smelling nicer than usual.

My tip as far as dreads go is making smaller sections than you think you want. Or at least remember that your dreads will be about as big as your sections. You can combine small ones later and not lose progress but if you decide your dreads are too big you are gonna be hooped and will have to lose all progress or just live with it.

Also randomize the size and shape of your dreads. It's a personal preference I think but I find the dreads that are done in an even grid pattern look pretty silly at first when you can see the scalp. Random sections mimic natural dreads more and leave you with fewer wonky spaces.

Good luck to you my fellow British Columbian!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

i had the worse scalp u can imagine i cured it with what i learned here (yea i said leaerned i may olass on some knowledge here but much of it i learned her as well)

the bakimg soda acv teatree rosemary brot]ght my scalp to 98% healthy the dreadlockshampoo got itto 100%

no flakes no itch no nothing

it took me many years to discover that

your lucky to have all this info on the day u start

but some itcvh and dandruff is unavoil[dable early on as yiur scaklop adjusts (it wont smell)

dot it wont last long if u use these

btw dhhq shampoo makes dandruff worse!

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Tara C
@tara-c
12 years ago
644 posts

Yeah, good job you found this site and asked for information and advice before you did something damaging. Anyway, the method you wanna use sounds fine, but just know that if any of them kind of loosen up or whatever, it's OK, you don't need to redo them, just let them do their thing.

Tied Up In Knots' advice about the oils is good too; the shampoo I use has teatree oil and rosemary oil, and it's been bliss for my scalp, eczema-wise and dandruff-wise, and I've always had it BAD, so it should be good for you. Sea salt spray can help too.

Oh yeah, and make sure not to tie your hair back all the time, cos that can slow the progress. That's...pretty much all I can think of. Besides that, patience, and you'll be set :)

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form