Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Itch Itch Itch!!!

Australe
@australe
12 years ago
60 posts

Finished T&Ring my dreads on tuesday, washed with BS and ACV on Wednesday, now on friday my scalp is so itchy it makes me wanna roll around on the floor like an itchy dog. I definitely understand its going to take my scalp some time to get used to going poo free, but I had it to the point where I only needed to wash my hair like every 3-4 days, now two days after I washed my hair I'm going to have to do it again? Bummer man. My head started to get a little itchy tuesday night, which is why I washed it wednesday. So I'm going to run out today and pick up some rosemary EO and lavander EO. Is there something else I might be able to use for itchy scalp? I have on hand chamomile EO, peppermint EO, and tea tree EO.
Also I'm wondering, not placing any blame yet, but I've started using the locking gel on tuesday night, shortly after I started to itch. Washed my hair on wednesday and put more of the locking gel on wednesday night, a little more thursday morning. I'm only using just a very small amount. Just trying to give you guys an idea of whats been going on with my head so I can get some help...
Is it also possible that my hair is feeling weird/itchy because its not used to pointing in different directions? Like when you have your hair pulled up in a high tight pony tail for a day and when you let it down your scalp hurts?

I appreciate your patience and your help...

updated by @australe: 02/14/15 07:39:43AM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

When you're working with essential oils, Make sure you use an applicator. Jojoba or sweat almond work. Jojoba is probably the best because it's good for your skin already. EO's are caustic to your skin by themselves. Because they are so concentrated, they can cause tons or irritation as well as allergic reactions. If you use an applicator, 1: your'll get more oil for your money because you are cutting down the concentration. 2: Because you are cutting the concentration, they'll be much much more gentle on your skin.

You can get a spray bottle and fill it about 1/4 with jojoba, 20 drop peppermint, 10 drop rosemary, 10 teatrea. fill the rest of the bottle with water. And just shake before each use.

Australe
@australe
12 years ago
60 posts

I was just using the EOs in my baking soda mixture... should I be using them on the side as well?

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

I do. It doesn't hurt, as long as you use an applicator, and don't use a ton. I use that mixture I described above about once a day. If I feel itchy at all, I'll do it again. I just spray it onto my scalp and massage it in with my fingers

Australe
@australe
12 years ago
60 posts

I'll have to consider that... I'm not happy with my head being so itchy so soon after washing

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

i use only in bs but teateee and peppermint and rosemary will do u good

the gel shouldn't be touching the scalp so i seriously doubt it

unless thers an allergic reaction/

\

not likely but worth thinking about tho id think youd itch on your hands too then from applying

if u got the soaps too try em i have had no itch at all in months even when i go twice as long as usual without washing

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Australe
@australe
12 years ago
60 posts

Yeah I haven't been putting any of the gel on my scalp, and have never had topical reactions to anything before, so I really doubt thats what is causing this CRAZY itchiness.
In my last BS/ACV wash I only used teatree in my baking soda, oh and a little bit of lavander extract trying to use that up so it doesn't go bad... I'm going out here in a little bit, I'll pick up some rosemary EO... I already have peppermint EO on hand as well...

SE, what are your thoughts about using jojoba oil in a spray for baby dreads? Wouldn't the extra oils cause them to slow their dready process down?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

jojoba is conditioning so yea

if id use it use it as a spot treatment not spray and apply to the scalp with finger or q-tip

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Sussi
@sussi
12 years ago
84 posts

My scalp was a bit itchy the first few days of dreadingand I think the reason was thatit was a little irritated. I didn't t&r my hair tight, but it did take hours and my scalp wasn't used to being harassed likethat. The itching did settle down and now my scalp's not itchy at all. I use a dish washing soap for my hair that is super hypoallergenic, approved by 5-6 "allergy & environment organisations" (can't remember the actual number and have no idea what to call them in english). I hope your itching will settle down as well.

Green Head
@green-head
12 years ago
31 posts

I've recently started mine and I was thinking about how itchy it was butI'vebeen wearing a head band to keep my fringe flat so i don't look like a weirdo,Irealised that was the main cause of the problem, much less itchy without. :) that's probs not very good advice :)

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form