Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

My own shampoo bar..homemade

Jdwood
@jdwood
12 years ago
275 posts

Did not know if this the rightcategorybut I did not want to put this underdreadlocks products because it is not really a product because it's not for sale...just wanted to share with you this alternative if you know how to make soap.I liked the dreadlocks shampoo bar (the one everyone is talking about) for a while but it started to make my scalp hitch and it would get oily really fast...my skin is sensitive so it's hard to find good soaps and shampoos for me. Well I decided to take a soap making course and made my own shampoo bar and it works!!! Really well too. So if some one is into making soap I can share my recipe with you.

updated by @jdwood: 02/14/15 03:52:02AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

share but warn ppl that making soal]ps involves hanf]dling caustic substances so you have to take precautions

u can put it in products tho cause we have homenade products there alot

surpeisded u had that trouv[ble with those tho u must have a rally sensaticve scalp i thought i had the worse scalp from hell but no=w its perfect i couldnt be happier

but im interested in learningto make soaps too

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

i moved it

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

awesome, i'd be interested in checking it out. I'm normally super oily & sensitive as well but I just ordered some lock shampoo today. I've only made lye free soaps (lye seems scary) & am always looking for new stuff to make up :)

Heather
@heather
12 years ago
1,291 posts

oh! i would love to know the recipe!

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
12 years ago
409 posts

Jdwood, I am very excited you've decided to share your experience with us and recipes. I have been looking around at all the 'dread bar soaps' lately and am quite honestly stumped-- I can't find any consistent information on what is Good and what is Bad to have in a dread bar concerning butters and/or oils. They look to be the exact same ingredients as what I find in the good luxury body soaps that I can find a lot cheaper than if it has the word 'dread' on the wrapper.

I have a book on soapmaking and have been hesitant to try anything with it yet. I read it. I understand it. But I'm terrified to try to whip something up. If you have a tried and true recipe that you'd like to share then I'm all ears.

Jdwood
@jdwood
12 years ago
275 posts

Okay well like SE said making this stuff can be dangerous so if you do not know how I suggest a course and you must usesafetyclasses rubber gloves and clothes that covers harms and legs. Once the caustic soda( sodium hydroxide) is in solution it becomes very corrosive. In solid form it is also corrosive and you do not want to drop any on thefloor if you do sweep it up right away. I stronglyrecommend doing this in a work shop or any room that kids or pets have no access. Thematerialyou use should never be used after for food, what you use for making soap is for thatpurpose only and nothing else. Use whitevinegarafter toneutralizeevery thing after you wash your soap making utensils. Always use gloves and safety classes when you handle the caustic soda. When you mix the caustic soda you put the soda in the water not the water in the soda veryimportantif not it cause a violent reaction. When you mix the soda in the water you pour it in slowly. Once the soda solution is ready it becomes hot so you must let it cool down to 65f before you mix it in your oil mixture. It lets out some fumes when you mix the soda in the water so do not do it with you face over it. After all this still interested? Lol! I guess I must add that this is all just info..I do not take responsibility for any thing that can go wrong. I got to go now but later today I will give you the rest of the info. This first part is just to let you know some of the risks involved.

Jdwood
@jdwood
12 years ago
275 posts

Now the ingredients. This is for 972.9 grams (dry) 1213.7g wet , it will be all in grams sorry I'm Canadian lol.

Boil 266.6g of water with some fresh thyme leaves then let cool down to room temp filter out the thyme leaves. The water is for your caustic solution later on. Put on you safety gear and prepare 120.12g of caustic soda set it aside in a safe place you will mix it in the water later on.

Take some Olive oil 340g, Castor oil 30g, coconut oil 230g, cocoa butter 100g and sesame seed oil 100g. Mix all of these ingredients, your are going to need to heat it up because of the coconut oil (solid at room temp) and cocoa butter. After it is all melted and mixed let it cool to 65f. this is your base oils

While the base oils are cooling down prepare your essential oils that your are going to add last. I used 8g tea tree 8g lavender and 8grosemary keep this for later. Take about 20g of your mixed base oils and add 10g of green clay that you will mix in later (after your essential oils)

Now prepare your caustic soda solution take your cooled boiled water (266.6g) and add very very carefully with all of your protection on 120.12g of caustic soda to your water not the other way around I repeat the soda in the water. It's going to get warm so be careful. Let it cool down to 65f and very slowly pour the solution in your base oils keep all of your safety gearon whenyou do this ( base oils must be at 65f too). Take a hand held mixer (do not us it for food after ever) and mix it all up until it starts to have theconsistencyofpudding. Now you can add you essential oils and green clay.

When everything is well mixed pour it into some molds the best kind aresiliconemolds but plastic will do. Cover up your molds and in a well ventilated room where no one sleeps in . Let you future soap rest for 24 hours. After 24 hours you can take your soap out of the molds with your gloves on very important. Place your bars on a wire rack and let it sit for 4 to 6 weeks this is to let all of the caustic soda evaporate. Voila your soap is ready.

Make sure that all of your soap making utensils are only used for soap making. Wash it all with your gloves on andneutralizeevery thing with whitevinegar. If you by any chance you get some caustic solution on you use the vinegar to neutralize. Be very careful and I do not take any responsibility if something happens it is all at your own risk...good luck.

Mechell Arant
@mechell-arant
12 years ago
56 posts

your steps are dead on...always run your recipes through alye calculator though. Magestic Mountain Sage has a good one here: http://www.thesage.com/calcs/lyecalc2.php I always use wooden molds lined with parchment paper, which double as displays if I need them for sales.

Jdwood
@jdwood
12 years ago
275 posts

Yeah I use a lye calculator. The molds I use are old silicone baking molds but youparchmentpaper is a good idea.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form