Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

HELP! Very Short, Bridesmaid dread up-do?

Nasya L'Bert
@nasya-lbert
12 years ago
13 posts

Okay you guys I need help! I'm know things like this have been posted before but couldn't find much.

So my brother is getting married 4 months from now and I'm going to be a bridesmaid at his wedding. I was originally going to just make my dreads neater by simply re-twisting (I never re-twist but this is special lol) with pure aloe vera gel. However his fiancee (who is basically planning most of it) wants my hair in an up-do because all the other bridesmaids are getting theirs done that way. She had also said that my hair currently isn't formal or feminine enough. I get the formal part, but why'd she have to say the latter!? Meh.

My brother's fiancee's family and bridesmaids are all white. And my brother has dreads too yet she's fine with that, so I'm sure if I were white with dreads she say the same :(

She won't let me wear any headbands and she sounds like wants me to comb them out and get my hair styled :( And me not going to the wedding is not an option. And I will NEVER take out my dreads not even for a wedding!

Eh, enough ranting though.

You can see what my locks look like on my profile.

Any style ideas? Or other ideas? I appreciate your help <3

updated by @nasya-lbert: 02/14/15 07:15:50AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

Well you can laugh at her, you don't have enough hair to do an up do. Even if you combed it out. You wouldn't have enough hair to do it in an updo.

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Tied up in knots
@tied-up-in-knots
12 years ago
202 posts

How are you supposed to do an up do? Like S.E. says, even if you combed it out you couldn't do it. Does she expect you to comb it out and get it straightened? If so, you should tell her to kindly gain a new perspective by pulling her head from her rectum...

Could your brother perhaps talk to her about how crazy that is?You've put months into your hair and you're supposed to change it drastically for a one day event?

I think your hair looks plenty feminine. You could easily dress it up for a wedding, you just can't put it in an up do.

I think some small sparklies or flowers clustered above an ear, kinda like where a flower would sit if you tucked it behind your ear, would look absolutely lovely. Your sister in a law is a crazy.

Good luck to you. I hope your sister in law realizes how nuts she is being.

Nasya L'Bert
@nasya-lbert
12 years ago
13 posts

Yeah I think I'm going to have to sit her down and work something out. I could do the flowers thing and if she really wanted all her bridesmaids to be similar they could all have flowers in their up-dos!

Any more style Ideas for this kind of thing? I want make an arsenal of styles (excluding up-do's :P) to throw at her heehee

Rachel NattyDee
@rachel-nattydee
12 years ago
53 posts

You could try some fancy wraps or a crown of flowers, or ribbons.

But to be that concerned about a bridesmaid's hair-do at your own wedding is a bit concerning.

And I think you're feminine and fabulous just the way you are, some folk have twisted ideas of what it is to be a beautiful woman. Be thankful you're not marrying her!

Good luck!

Karrington <3
@karrington-3
12 years ago
94 posts
Oh my gosh your dreads are too cute! Also, I'm in the same boat you're in.. My bro is getting married and his fianc is white, the wedding isn't until September but anyways.. I would suggest getting one of those hair clips that as a flower on it that would match your dress.. Fix it right above your ear and you should be good to go.. :)I agree with Rachel, if the bride is more concerned with the bridesmaids, she has bigger problems.. Best of luck!
Nasya L'Bert
@nasya-lbert
12 years ago
13 posts

Karrington <3 said:

Oh my gosh your dreads are too cute! Also, I'm in the same boat you're in.. My bro is getting married and his fianc is white, the wedding isn't until September but anyways.. I would suggest getting one of those hair clips that as a flower on it that would match your dress.. Fix it right above your ear and you should be good to go.. :)
I agree with Rachel, if the bride is more concerned with the bridesmaids, she has bigger problems.. Best of luck!
Terrance Lynn Williams
@terrance-lynn-williams
12 years ago
10 posts

I would not even worry about it, I would explain to her that this is your culture and your hair is your Identity. So tell her if she doesnt like you and or your hair then she can go to H.E. double hockey sticks.

I have had people pull that same crap on me, I was turned down for a promotion because I did not fit the corporate America look. No problem Master! But I will never change who I am. Well long story short, I got the promotion with another company and we merged with my old company and now I am his BOSS Dread Head. And you better believe he is sick. Any way if that doesnt work then set your brother down and explain to him what is going on. So what if she gets mad at him, at lease he knows now before they get married; that its all about her.

Tiffany3
@tiffany3
12 years ago
3 posts

I agree with the previous posts. I would go with a flower and you can also put on some type of headband as well (my go to staple hehe). I don't understand what the issue is. Your dreads are short enough that it can blend in with the other bridesmaids that have updos. I say just throw a flower or headband on and call it a day. No point in stopping your dread journey for ONE day. If people feel the need to talk, let em!

Nasya L'Bert
@nasya-lbert
12 years ago
13 posts

I definitely feel a lot more confident about this situation than before. I was going to do yarn braids because I saw another natural freeformer try it out. It's temporary and doesn't damage your hair like other extensions and I don't need to do anything crazy to my dreads. And easy to take out... However they are very itchy! (because of the acrylic yarn).

Cornrowing was considered because my hair is long enough, but the parts aren't going to turn out right. So nah!

SO, my "sister inlaw" is just going to have to deal! I haven't talked with her yet, but when I do I will let y'all know what goes gown :)

What ever happens though my dreads aren't going anywhere!

Thank you guys

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form