Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Why Does Our Hair Knot

Nick Marks
@nick-marks
12 years ago
16 posts

Hey guys, just a random/curious question: Why do u think our hair knots? In the natural world it seems that everything does what it doesfor a reason, obviouslyeveryoneshair knots (at different paces) but i am curious as to why 'nature' intended our hair to knot? maybe its just the laws of physics (not sure which law) but cripes the amount of times my wiring (for tv/games/chargers etc) gets knotted up, its quite similar to a dread imo.

Anyways, what do u guys think out of curiousity?

updated by @nick-marks: 01/13/15 09:19:17PM
Tara C
@tara-c
12 years ago
644 posts

I thought about this just before I went to sleep, but I don't know. I'm not sure if it's something that happens for a reason, or something that happens out of circumstance (which is that your hair just gets knotted from day-to-day life and that's the end result). It is interesting though.

Jdwood
@jdwood
12 years ago
275 posts

Good question. Hair knots because of the cuticles (like scales) that are there to protect the hair so I think it is just a side effect of these cuticles being there no real reason at all IMO and no everything does not have a reason some things are the way they just because ofcircumstances. There is no intent in nature just natural selectionrandommutation genetic drift and so on...maybe locks in the past gave humans and other animals a evolutionary advantage but it's difficult to really know.

Kenny2
@kenny2
12 years ago
4 posts

IMO it knots for protection.

if your hit on the head by a big branch while walking through the woods, then NOT havin a thick layer of matted hair will cause you to have a lot more pain and injury.

secondly, to protect from the sun, obviously matted hair is less trancslucent than "straight" hair. so less burns.

to protect from the weather? when walking through icy wind i wouldnt prefer being a baldhead, nice fat mattings keep u warmer an u can use them as covers and cuishons..

it seems quite useful when u think of it that way ;)

Circle Dancer
@circle-dancer
12 years ago
121 posts

I agree I think it's for protection and other similar reasons.... I now feel like I've spent my whole life in a ridiculous fight trying to brush out my hair and stop it from doing what it was supposed to do.

Rebekah Shupe
@rebekah-shupe
12 years ago
22 posts

I'm not really sure, but I would assume that our ancestors' ancestors didn't have time to sit around and look pretty, at least most of them. Not having the time to comb through your hair 8 times a day probably contributed.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

Well there's a couple to this first of all they had to study during Vietnam that said If you keep your hair longer it helps act like a extrasensory perception thing and it was the scouts in Vietnam were able to survive better if they kept their hair longer and Also there's a theory that our hair contain a chemical record of all your experiences. So When It knots up and connects all your life experiences into one

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Valentin the Jellyfish
@valentin-the-jellyfish
11 years ago
79 posts
Well I was thinking about the reason in physics for hair knotting, I'm pretty sure the explanation is the Second Law of Thermodynamics. Which basically states entropy (disorder) will always increase unless energy is added to decrease entropy (disorder). So think about hair that is not dreaded, every single strand doing its own thing, that would be a state of disorder.Now as energy is put into the disordered system; movement from wind, sleeping, etc. This would cause knots to form and one strand combine to another and another until a dread is formed. So instead of the single strands of hair being disordered the order increases.I think this is so funny because society tells us that dreaded hair is messy and unorganized, but in the eyes of physics dreads are more orderly than regular hair.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

well i know the way they knot diferently geneticly has a reason

african hair blunts the tips wich holds in moisture longer cooling the scalp in intence african heat

while caucasian stays loose at the tips usualy to let out water so u dont freeze in cooler climates

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form