Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

After 1 year and 5 months of neglect with no dreads yet I finally decided to make a profile

Dan
@dan
12 years ago
4 posts

Hello,

So I have been trying to grow dreads for over a year and 5 months now. There is some knotting but not a great deal. I thought I would finally ask for help from this site.

I used organic bar soap every 2-3 days for the first 2 months, then I used Dr. Bronners soap every 2-3 days (diluted and soft water) for the next 6 months, I found it left my hair sticky until it dried. Then I used bc and acv wash for the next 6 months. For the past 3 months I have been using the Dragon's Blood shampoo from dreadlockshampoo.com.

I'll post some recent pics, please give me any suggestions based on the pics.

updated by @dan: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
ashley ✿
@ashley
12 years ago
167 posts

well, i am seeing some progress there. it might just take some time for you my friend. i would try to get a little sea salt mix it with water & put it in a little spray bottle. it helps with the locking & what not, i've experienced. but do NOT get it on the scalp..that will send you into an itching frenzy.

Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
12 years ago
667 posts

When we sleep and wash, our hair knots the most! Wash 2-3 times a week...not less! My hair was alot like yours...I had not one knot for 8 mos. It was very frustrating, but now, I am at 20 mos. with a whole head of dreads! It seemed to finally get the idea and took off fast from there. You may want to try an old, wool sweater too...just get one from anywhere (even the thrift store!) and put it as a case onto your pillow. The sea salt spray also works wonders. Wherever you have a knot, your best ones, put a bead...I find that helped me :)

Amy4life said:

Welcome to the site!
Yeah, I'd say use a sea salt spray or solution and leave it on your hair for about 2 hours, then rinse it out and wash your hair as usual. If you can get yourself to a beach or salt water pool, even better!
Also maybe consider washing your hair once a week, if you can stand it. Just to really allow your hair to knot together between washings. :)

Chris Mora
@chris-mora
12 years ago
41 posts

all i can say to help you is to wear beads, even if you do not have knots where you are putting them. iguarantee if you put one on and leave it for a month,when you take it off you will have knots above and underneath it. might inspire a little faith in the locking process. sure has for me.

Dan
@dan
12 years ago
4 posts

Thanks for the advice,

Obviously time is the only real solution just wanted some tips and wondering if my hair looked too dry or too oily.

I'll try the sea salt spray and I'll definitely be swimming in the ocean.

Not really one to wear beads in my hair, but thanks.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form