Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Natural way questions

Kimberly Eve
@kimberly-eve
12 years ago
59 posts

I haven't brushed my hair in a few days (maybe a week) and I've consciously decided to not brush again :) So I'm starting using the natural method.

I'd like smaller dreads ultimately, so as long as I separate that will work right?

When i work out, I like for my hair to be off my neck and away from my face. Also, I often wear my baby on my back and I pull my hair into a ponytail to keep it out of his face. Will aregular ponytail hinder dread progress? I'd think it would. Should I kind of wrap it up instead so it's not all brought together like a regular pony?

Thanks! :)

updated by @kimberly-eve: 02/14/15 03:53:13AM
Phoenix
@phoenix
12 years ago
20 posts
Hello and welcome! Ya, if you want smaller dreads just seperate those sections to be smaller but be careful to not seperate too often... It can hinder the dreading process! Also, remember that the size of your sections (ex. 1/2"x1/2") will determine the size of your dreads once mature. And your correct about your ponytail! It won't hurt it to tie it up in a ponytail just as long as its not very often. Your hair needs to be able to move so it can knot up. Wrapping it up instead may be a good idea... but Id let it hang free as often as possible! Just use good judgment as it sounds like you already do and you'll be fine! Good luck w/ your journey, I'm excite to see your progress! :)
Tara C
@tara-c
12 years ago
644 posts

When you do it the natural way it separates on its own, so there's no point in separating until they start dreading I guess, but when they do, separating them is cool if you want thin dreads. As for tying your hair back or whatever, I think that slows it down a bit, but I'm not too sure about that

Phoenix
@phoenix
12 years ago
20 posts
I'm talking about separating them as they knot up so thy dont become one big matted mass!

Tara C said:

When you do it the natural way it separates on its own, so there's no point in separating until they start dreading I guess, but when they do, separating them is cool if you want thin dreads. As for tying your hair back or whatever, I think that slows it down a bit, but I'm not too sure about that

AciDreams
@acidreams
12 years ago
39 posts

its ok to tie your hair back just make sure the majority of the time they hang loose otherwise your hair will take forever and a day to knot up

Heather
@heather
12 years ago
1,291 posts

i suggest you get a tam and put your hair in that while your baby is on your back. you might undo progress putting it in a ponytail. don't separate too often in the beginning. wait until you have real knotting going on. i used to separate a lot when i started and i think it prevented a lot of progress. i only separate once or twice a week now.

Castaway J
@castaway-j
12 years ago
585 posts

Yeah Heather! I was going to suggest the same thing :)

A tam would work great for what you need. However if you do tie your hair up, use a loose tie, you dont want to tie it up to tightly.

Australe
@australe
12 years ago
60 posts

Yay!!! A fellow babywearing mama!!

Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

yes yay babywearing love it!

& I wear mine up in a wool tam when she's on my back, even though i think my hair is short enough she can't reach it i think it would be able to whack her in the face lol

Australe said:

Australe
@australe
12 years ago
60 posts

I think its just awesome to stumble across another babywearer, and on a dread site none the less :)

Ixchel said:

yes yay babywearing love it!

& I wear mine up in a wool tam when she's on my back, even though i think my hair is short enough she can't reach it i think it would be able to whack her in the face lol

Australe said:

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form