Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Not sure if my dreads are even growing?

XYZ123
@xyz123
12 years ago
29 posts
I've had my dreads for about 11 months now, & I am curious of the outcome thus far. I know dreads go through a shrinkage stage from anywhere between 6 - 12 months. I know it's only been a month beyond the 12, but my dreads are much shorter than when I first started, which when they were first dreaded were down to my Jasmine, about 8 or so inches. Now, they're anywhere between 4 and 6 inches. Some only 1 inch because ocf breakage, which has happened to about 5 of them, mainly in the back where my hair is straighter. I dyed three of them at the root to see if they are even growing because at this point I am pretty scared that they're either not growing or growing very, very slowly, and I honestly do not want to cut them off & start all over. When should I be expecting a noticeable growth in my hair after the shrinking stage that has already passed? Is there anyway to be sure my hair is actually growing? Am I doing something wrong, or missing something? What should I DO!? Please help, I don't want to start all over again! :/
updated by @xyz123: 02/14/15 03:49:24AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

why did they break what have you done to weakrn them so much besides the stupid stuff the salonbs told you to do

hairs always growing

1/2 inch a month average

sometimes less

but the shrinking stage dont sudenly reverse to growth it slows then stalls then grows

give it 2-3 months and u will see an inch probly

but

whatever u been doing that caused em to break..stop

stop everrything but washing and seperating

ps sometimes just seperating u gain a small bit of lenghth since the roots that were bound get released

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
tha tron
@tha-tron
12 years ago
147 posts
are you for sure they arent growing? I've never heard of someones hair not growing. Are you loosing your hair (genetics) are you shedding a lot.How is your diet? Dreads are different until they get longer and heavier they don't show length. My hair seems very short until I wash them the. They areWet and heavy and I can shake them and they actually move. But.. Reality sets in and they dry and Matt back Down..I wouldnt worry about it.. I'm sure your fine... Just forget about them.. A watched pot never boils... Keep this in mind. Happy dreading
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Give them time. Mine shrunk to half the original length and then grew faster then they did before I locked them.

Eagles right, they go through a stage where they shrink. then a stage where they seem to stall out on you. Then after a little while they will start growing and you wont be able to stop them.

And yeah, what happened that they broke off? I mean, I've lost a few from week roots, but none have ever broken off in the middle

Circle Dancer
@circle-dancer
12 years ago
121 posts

How long did it take yours to shrink, baba?

XYZ123
@xyz123
12 years ago
29 posts
To be honest, I did absolutely NOTHING. My friend did my dreads for me, he had been reading a lot on 'em, & I had no clue on the subj. but I wanted them. He told me use no product, wash whenever, & clockwise rub. I had one in the front completely fall out & the other one was starting to thin but I used the hair from the old one and other loose hairs & added it to that one to save it. The three in the back pretty much completely broke off & since then (6 months or so ago) doesn't seem they have grown much at all. Still at an inch. My dad said it may have been a lack of moisture on my scalp which probably caused them to break. I don't know. I'm giving it 'til the second year mark to see some decent results 'cause I'm getting pretty agitated with 'em y'know. & also I havent been to any salons. I've read a lot that they do nothing to help haha.

soaring eagle said:

why did they break what have you done to weakrn them so much besides the stupid stuff the salonbs told you to do

hairs always growing

1/2 inch a month average

sometimes less

but the shrinking stage dont sudenly reverse to growth it slows then stalls then grows

give it 2-3 months and u will see an inch probly

but

whatever u been doing that caused em to break..stop

stop everrything but washing and seperating

ps sometimes just seperating u gain a small bit of lenghth since the roots that were bound get released

XYZ123
@xyz123
12 years ago
29 posts
I mean in not sure that's why I'm asking. Because I know they shrink & all it just seems that after a whole year they should seem to be growing noticeably. There's no shedding or nothing like that, minus the breakage but that was about 5-6 months ago. Good quote'. I'll be sure to keep that in mind, forreal.

tha tron said:
are you for sure they arent growing? I've never heard of someones hair not growing. Are you loosing your hair (genetics) are you shedding a lot. How is your diet? Dreads are different until they get longer and heavier they don't show length. My hair seems very short until I wash them the. They areWet and heavy and I can shake them and they actually move. But.. Reality sets in and they dry and Matt back Down..I wouldnt worry about it.. I'm sure your fine... Just forget about them.. A watched pot never boils... Keep this in mind. Happy dreading
XYZ123
@xyz123
12 years ago
29 posts
I'm not sure what happened, exactly. Just that the one's in the back became very lose, I tried redreading them (TnR) & then my hair just came out like that. On three different dreads. I had two on each side break & lose a lot of hair but the damage wasn't as bad (6 to 4 in. instead of 5 to 1 in. like the back). I also had two in the front, one broke off in the middle, completely, & the other is still here, the middle started to thin but I saved it so it should be good now. I literally have done nothing known to cause this. I know I'm not balding or anything. My dad told me it was a lack of moisture on my scalp, so he helped me with that & now I'm just trying to be patient. Thing is I could be a lot more patient, but I'm just so anxious just 'cause of all the breakage & stalling of the growth.

Baba Fats said:

Give them time. Mine shrunk to half the original length and then grew faster then they did before I locked them.

Eagles right, they go through a stage where they shrink. then a stage where they seem to stall out on you. Then after a little while they will start growing and you wont be able to stop them.

And yeah, what happened that they broke off? I mean, I've lost a few from week roots, but none have ever broken off in the middle

taye
@taye
12 years ago
833 posts

the clockwise rubbing can break the hairs at the roots. It is not a good thing to do. I am curious as to how you added hairs to the dread to save it. Have you been crocheting your hair?

elke.in.alaska
@elkeinalaska
12 years ago
90 posts
What about bleach or dye? Malnutrition can cause brittle hair as well. Are you under weight?
 / 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form