Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Washing Natty Dreadlocks And Tips For Beginner

paulmarley
@paul-chirita
12 years ago
40 posts

Hello. Today I've just stopped combing my hair and plan on wearing a hat as much as I can and got a natural shampoo. I'm kinda worried about how to wash my hair. I feel like if I wash it I'm going to break the mini dreadlocks that are forming. Should I know anything specific about washing and drying the hair? And could you tell me any tips and things I should do that I haven't mentioned here? Thanks a lot!

updated by @paul-chirita: 02/14/15 04:18:29AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

depending on the hat a hat can prevent progress a wool tams better but would let them hang loose as much as u can too

the baking soda soaks a gentle no scrub method or the liquid shampoo from dreadlockshampoo.com is a good option too if u use shampoo carefully scrub only the scalp with fingertips ignore the hair itself it will clean as the shampoo rinses thru it

wash 1-3 times a week washing helps em dread

air dry if u can

towl drying can undo knots

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
paulmarley
@paul-chirita
12 years ago
40 posts

thank you so much for the info. I ordered this tam: http://www.ebay.com/itm/360382952287?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 . do you think it's good?

Robert4
@robert4
12 years ago
2 posts
Hey SE, was wondering about the baking soda mix. I have always preferred baths to showers. Will it be possible to use this method in a bath or should I just get used to showering?Also with this solution, is it okay to premix it beforehand, and pour out what I need during each washing?

soaring eagle said:

depending on the hat a hat can prevent progress a wool tams better but would let them hang loose as much as u can too

the baking soda soaks a gentle no scrub method or the liquid shampoo from dreadlockshampoo.com is a good option too if u use shampoo carefully scrub only the scalp with fingertips ignore the hair itself it will clean as the shampoo rinses thru it

wash 1-3 times a week washing helps em dread

air dry if u can

towl drying can undo knots

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

That hats probbably going to be too tight. you want something like a tam that you can tuck all of your hair into but will leave a ton of room to move around in

Choppah
@choppah
12 years ago
20 posts

waddap.. what i did was take a whool sweater on my pillow, and when winter came i went around with a whool tam.. seems to make the har abit tangly but nothing much, whool is cuddly too sleep on anyways though.. salt water really compensates if ur shampoo makes ur hair silky... but i found for me that the smoke from a fire helped more, dryed out the hair... i didnt let the washing thing stop me when it was summer, went too the ocean every day for 1 month, and rinsed my hair afterwards everyday.. noone went completely loose, and this was 3 weeks into my journey.. but it can be abit too much the hair might even break because it gets so dry.. i wash whenever i shower now, wich is like 4 times a week, and i dont care if it slowes the progress abit because i know they will dread up anyways.. i just go out for an hour and let it air dry i dont use the -hair blower- ?....

Australe
@australe
12 years ago
60 posts

You could always learn to crochet and make yourself a tam with wool yarn, thats what I did for my hubby. It is really simple to learn how to do it!

paulmarley
@paul-chirita
12 years ago
40 posts

I guess I'll ask someone to crochet one for me. I'm not good at this type of things, haha. It's been 1 month and I can notice dreads forming. Still using the tam I posted above. My hair is pretty short right now, but when it will get longer the dreads will look great. It's a great journey.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

there is a post somewhere on this site about how to make your own tam with no crocheting. I tried to find it, but the one that popped up wasn't it. If you search, there should be a picture of a nice colourful one somewhere. The first one the pops up is plain and grey. But if you keep looking, it is there somewhere, All it involves is sewing. If you've got a machine, it;ll be easier, but I bet you could do it by hand

/ 4

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form