Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Going the distance

Eli Jones
@eli-jones
12 years ago
16 posts

Hello all, I began the natural dread close to may 20th last year. I have a few dread on the upper back portion of my head i could maybe get a picture but you can't really tell cause my hair is rather wavy. i've read alot and i know it can take along time which im totally ok with but i was wondering if there was maybe something i could do to speed up the process. I use two scoops of BS with a full glass of water, two drops of lavender and a drop of Tea tree oil. I wash maybe once or twice a week, avoid getting it really soaked on the other occasions. It's winter so there isn't much sun but i get it when i can. i don't really dry my hair all that hardcore? umm oh yes and one of the dreads i have. At the base it's two seperate pieces that merge into one about an inch away is that normal? should i pull them apart? Im actually really surprised at how my hair looks i figured it would be alot more messy than it is lol

updated by @eli-jones: 02/14/15 11:25:59AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

the splirt dreads up to u its fine as is i9or u can split it id leave it alone tho

add szea salt to the mix to speed it up

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

sea salt will definitely help speed up the process. To make you feel better, mine took almost a year to finally start looking like locks. Sometimes it just takes a while.

The size of them depends on how big you want them I love huge fat ones. But that's me. some people like super skinny ones. If you want to, you can separate them, but it's all up to your desired size

Eli Jones
@eli-jones
12 years ago
16 posts

They seem to be staying small in size but they stay together after countless showers now which is cool. I figured it would take a little time. Especially considering My hair was only about 6-7 inch when i started. Thanks about the salt should it equal the amount of baking soda? more less? I want it to do what it wants to do im mostly avoiding just the huge tangled mess that happens.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

I haven't done the BS wash, but I do a sea salt spray once in a while. By that I mean I do it the night before I wash. Don't let it stay in for too long. My letting it stay in for 6-7 hours might even be long.

I'd use a little less than a tsp for each cup of water in a wash. Much more water if you're going to use it as a spray and leave it in longer

But make sure you wash it out really really well. It tends to leave a slightly salty smell to your hair sometimes. So you want to rinse all of it out before you wash them with either the BS or shampoo

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

sea salt should be 3.5% of the water volume

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Eli Jones
@eli-jones
12 years ago
16 posts

Ok Eagle your talking about sea salt in a spray bottle with water right? should i try and find a BPA free bottle? it probably doesn't make a difference. Ill get some newer pics up but not to much has changed lol thanks everyone

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

it's always better to use BPA free, but it doesn't really get absorbed through the skin like that. It's more of a worry to digest. But I wouldn't trust that the salt wont start to corrode the plastic. I have a few glass bottles that are much better

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

sorry, I lied. It has been discovered that BPA is, in fact, absorbed through the skin. I was thinking of an older study.

Yes, definitely use BPA free bottles, then

Eli Jones
@eli-jones
12 years ago
16 posts

hmmm well now i will have to go attain on i just got a cheap one.....the salt is already having it's way with the bottle i think...where can i get glass spray bottle....(I don't do banks so anything involving cards is a no go. Store names are good) :D

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form