dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Retwisting Really Isn't Necessary

Karrington <3
@karrington-3
12 years ago
94 posts

Hi hi!

I have been dreading for 4 months and 2 weeks and I have done lots of trial and error type things with my locks. My hair started out being twisted into spiral curls about once a week until I got tired of doing it and decided that I wanted dreads instead. (I had been fighting this for years) I started noticing some knotting in the first month and then it went crazy and took off form there. I then started to maintain them by re-twisting them (against my better judgement) about once every 3 weeks. I didn't to any visible damage to my locks, although I felt like I had.

Re-twisting isn't necessary because I have noticed in the past few weeks (maybe the last month or so) that my locks are pretty much fully dreaded(without the aid of my hands). There is a tiny bit(about an inch or two) around the very tips that is still lose but I'm giving it time to lock up on its own. I actually wash my hair with regular shampoo (well "regular" meaning the residue free kind) and I can scrub away at my scalp without worry of my dreads coming undone. I actually kind of like the "wild" look thy have and the compliments have just been flowing by the truckloads (which makes me feel good about myself haha!)

I think its a bit comical how all the advise SE gives that we all decide what will and wont work for us and I have realized that re-twisting really isn't necessary. Thanks for reading!

PS. Pics to come soon! my dreadies have come so far! :))

updated by @karrington-3: 01/22/20 09:33:16AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

not only not nesacary but pretty harmdful in the long run

they are way better off not retwistuing at all..ever

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
tha tron
@tha-tron
12 years ago
147 posts
It's simply a way of combing/brushing your hair... Think about it... Un-dreadedHair is brushed and or combed. Then you get dreads and you twist,crochet,interlock ect.Once you let go of the ritual you get rid of the problem causing habits that damage our hair.
Karrington <3
@karrington-3
12 years ago
94 posts

Yeah not only that but that's what has been drilled into our heads because its "right" and its "what we are supposed to do" I have actually taken a liking to the natural route.. Its so much more free and fun!

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

it's also because we either see people with perfect hair, scraggly tangled hair, or locks. I guess the people with locks know that they don't happen over night, but it still doesn't come into mind that many of those people with tangled hair are probably going to end up with locks. It's just the beginning stages.

Karrington <3
@karrington-3
12 years ago
94 posts

I totally agree.. I happen to like the mess that is on top of my head and I wouldn't change it for anything. The ones that are always looking for a "quick fix" are the ones who want insta-dreads. In my humble opinion I think that those fine folks really aren't ready for the dread experience and I am really happy and thankful that I have stopped being one of those people. Dreads take time and love and these days I don't mind waiting. :)

Baba Fats said:

it's also because we either see people with perfect hair, scraggly tangled hair, or locks. I guess the people with locks know that they don't happen over night, but it still doesn't come into mind that many of those people with tangled hair are probably going to end up with locks. It's just the beginning stages.

Karrington <3
@karrington-3
12 years ago
94 posts

Actually Kathleen made a comment on one of my pictures (about the length increase) and I looked back at some of my older pictures and realized that my hair has grown quite well these past 4 months. This is the fastest I remember it growing actually. Which makes me super happy because I really want them down my back.. I want to be able to tie them up all cool and whatnot. Also, re-twisting isn't necessary because if you re-twist then wash your hair, all that hard work (that will be bad news in the long run) will have been for nothing.. Cheers :)

Tyler said:

It took me awhile to realize that retwisting isn't needed. Once my dreads started tightening up, that's when I officially realized it would be absolutely useless. By the way, have you noticed any increase in length during your 4+ months? Mine are going on 3 and I haven't noticed any increased length at all.....

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form