Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Breakage

Panda Monium
@panda-monium
12 years ago
11 posts

I used vinegar to get the wax out of my dreads, and then I used a small amount of bleach to try and help (after washing out the vinegar)

I then used what I was told was an all natural conditioner, and I only put on a tiny amount and left it for less than two mins.

About three of my thinnest dreads just broke off about halfway down, I think it was a combination of both bleach and conditioner that made my dreads weak but soft, so it was easy for them to just break when wet.

I think Im in the clear now but Im terrified of more of my dreads breaking on me, what should I do?

updated by @panda-monium: 02/14/15 03:35:14AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

u also crochtted too i believe

crochet caused weakness and damage

bleache caused weakness (chemical damage)

conditioning probly didnt hurt at all unless it loosened up enough that thy broke where crochet damage was so extreme they were just held together by the crochets tighteness and wax

its unlikly unlress the crochet was overdone

but combined with bleach..was just too much to recover

not sure bleach would remove wax either

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
elke.in.alaska
@elkeinalaska
12 years ago
90 posts
Bleaching is wicked destructive to the hair structure. So is semiperm/demiperm/perm hair color. All to lesser degrees. Natural henna is the only color you can do that is actually good for the hair. Panterra talks about protein hair reconstructor somewhere. Go to her wall and you'll probably find this comments fairly easily. You can never fully reconstruct bleach damaged hair you can only support it. I'd do that and read up on henna. :) www.mehandi.com And remember that when your hair is wet it is at it's most vulnerable time. Especially bleached hair. Be very gentle with it.
Panda Monium
@panda-monium
12 years ago
11 posts

Thankfully, the bleach did remove the wax, and my hair has recovered from damage from bleah before ( atleast enough to be robust again), so I'll look into this protein stuff and the henna. What about pure vegetable dyes?

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

I've seen first hand someone try to bleach their hair with clorox. They dipped about 4 inches in just to test. When they lifted it out of the bowl, the hair was not their anymore. It actually burned it off. Be really careful. Bleach really does a ton of damage to your hair

Evelyn Maes
@evelyn-maes
12 years ago
30 posts

I was thinking the same thing, bleach burns. Just look what it does with clothes if you spill on it. Also, i don't think that was a safe thing to do. I wouldn't like bleach that close to me face and eyes...

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Don't get me started with that. I used to dye my hair all the time when I was in high school. One day I got red dye all over my forehead. It wouldn't come off with soap, so I tried bleach. That just burned. And it didn't work much either. Then, without washing of the bleach I grabbed some ammonia, and scrubbed it. Note to self, when you hear people say not to mix ammonia and bleach, DON'T. I was lucky I was close to a window I could open and stick my head out of. I almost passed out in my bathroom with the door locked. That stuff is toxic when mixed.

Panda Monium
@panda-monium
12 years ago
11 posts

AyeI know. I wasnt looking to be critised here, my hair is usually fine with bleach it was just the dreadlock extensions which fell off, and the ends of my actual hair, aren't damaged or brittle, I think it actually was a combination of crocheting them on and then using conditioner, the joint was already weak, thats the only bit that I ever crocheted, was where my hair joined the extensions, and as soaring eagle said, the conditioner loosened the already weak joints enough for them to fall out.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

I guess it depends of the bleach too. Obviously chlorox was not meant for hair. Where they broke off, if that is where you crocheted, That's probably to most likely culprit. crocheting breaks up the hair into little pieces. When they loosened, there was no longer long strand of hair to hold the whole thing together.

Sorry it happened to you. I could tell you about my bad experience with my first set of locks, but it's really brutal. Lesson learned, don't use wax, and wash your hair.

Panda Monium
@panda-monium
12 years ago
11 posts

Yep I am never touching wax or chrocet needles again, Infact Im away to wash my hair again, near got most of the wax out now thank god, and I invested in expensive shampoo which reallly cleanses out grime and dirt, even wax , or so it says. FINGERS CROSSED

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form