Dreadlocks Forums

stiff dreads diagnosis and treatment

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

stiff dreads can be caused by several facti=ors

most common causes of stiff dreads being mistreatment

wax buildup- dread wax can harden and cause dreads to be stiff dread wax ofcourse never should be used in dreads so the simple (simple? it can be extremely hard to remove wax from stiff dreads) treatment would be to remove wax from the dreads

http://www.dreadlockssite.com/page/dread-wax-removal-is-finally

second most c0mmon cause is abuse from crochet

crochet causes an extreme tighteness that makes dreads stiff and inflexible just vcause the hair is so compacted and damaged

this treatments even easier .. stop crocheting your dreads

however the recovery with both wax and crochet can take a long time wax can take months to remove, crochet on the other hand you will want to use aloe or jojoba as a conditioner to loosen up the extreme tighteness and this can take 6 months to over a year to make them softer and more flexible

not all causews of stiff dreads are from abuse however

very dry dreads can have stiff hard spots just from the hair being so dry a light conditioning or a wash with a soap lkike these www.dreadlockshampoo.com will leave the stiff dry dreads feeling soft and healthy, if there are still harder stiffer sopots a spot treatment with aloe or jojoba or simular will softenthem up nicely

2 other possible causes of stiff dreads buildup or mold

buildup can increase the chances of mold too

diagnosis of buildup often you will see or feel it near the roots but not always, however if you routinely used non dread freindly soaps Soaps or conditioners with residues or waxes as stated above or gels creams heavy or excessive oils you are likely to have buildup if you use soaps like bronners that dont leave residues normaly but you have hard water these pure soaps can leave buildup because your water doesnt rinse them clean

if you used hair gels or styling prody[=ucts (pure aloe being the exception) you are likely to have buildup

to remove buildup ypu can try a vinager soak, or any anti residue or clarifying shampoo these might not be the best for everyday use but as a monthly buildup remover they are good at what they do

mold

mold grows from a tiny spore into a fuzzy mass within the dread as it grows it fills the spaces between hairs making them hard and stiff

mold will have a very odvios musty stench especxialy when damp

when dr they might not be noticibly smelly byt when damp you will have a strong to mild wet dog or dank basement smell

mold removal can be tricky too you can use 3/4 cup white vinager 1/4 cup water and 30-50 drops lavender oil pour on soaking the drwads and leave it on 24 hours (the vinager smell fades)

then wash thouroughlt=y and sit in the sun till dry sunlight helps kill it too

if buildup caused the mold (wax or soap or othee) be sure to address the buildup as well

alternatives spray the head with thyme tea and leave on 24 hours then follow the other directions

heat you can dip the dreads in boiling water leaving them in a few minutes to kill everything inside

neem seed oil kills parasites molds and many other unhealthy things it has its own bitter dirty earthy smell some might not like

most stiff dreads problems are caused by something your doing so the solution is undoing what youd done wrong will usualy solve the problem

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 01/22/20 09:33:16AM
raindog
@raindog
13 years ago
7 posts

very informative post it seems i always have some dreads that are very dry

probably some buildup also anyone know if the liquid dreadsoap will help or should i get the bar due to the salt

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

how old aee youir dreads the bar would do the most fior em the liquids more for young natural dreads that are resisting dreading

--
raindog
@raindog
13 years ago
7 posts

id say 5 to 6 months old is that stll to young for the bar?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

if they are doing well probly not the liquids kinda made fpr ppl who are going natural and its just going very slow

theyre both freat if u can use the bar i would use the bar

if u find it slows progress set it aside for later aand get the liquid

--
raindog
@raindog
13 years ago
7 posts

ok thanks ill give the bar a shot

Kristina
@kristina
13 years ago
13 posts

I am having stiff dreadlocks. I had crochet them, but most of them I have undo on start and made them tnr. They are so stiff and tight as bone. I wash most of time with BC/AC, sometimes with cheep shampoo. I newer sow wax. no mether what they all are fat, flat, shrinking, tight and stiff

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

could be the cheap shampoo or the bs making them too dry try adding aloe and not use the cheap shampoo or try a residue remover

--
Kristina
@kristina
13 years ago
13 posts

maby it is misteake, becouse I always sink them first in BC then wash wather, then sink in AV, and then water.

Also I have so many white spots from broken hairs on black hair that this isn't funny. It looks disgusting. It look's like dreadloks are not forgiving hairstyle- they remember mistakes forever- or? I had crysis last week, I was on way to cut my hair. this even don't look like dreadlocks- this are more like huge appendages or pendants hanging on head. Nobody around here is realy sure what I am trying to do with this mine hair :D, niedher I am anymore. I hope time will solve this.

I can't get shampoos from internet, I need something procurable, and easy for use. I live on other side of world, I will waith that shampoo for mounth and pay post and maby tax.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

no tax but shipping does make it cost more but it wont take a mionth

maybe a week

i think your dreads kook great

but if u stop using the cheap asshampoo it should improve tho id get an anti residue 1 just to remove the buildup

--
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form