Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Making Tams

Keith Lackey
@keith-lackey
13 years ago
62 posts

Anyone have advice on making tams. I tried to make one and failed miserably. It turned out to be a loose looking beanie that stretched out after a couple months. If I try to tuck my hair in now it comes out. I would like to order one but am not sure what size to get. Do I just measure the circumference of my head, or length of my hair, or both?

updated by @keith-lackey: 02/14/15 06:33:21AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

se3e that ustream tab-----> theres a tam making video on there

to measure

measure around your hairline

then ball up the dreads

measurew over the tiop of the ball front hairline to back hairline

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Robert shawn bozarth
@robert-shawn-bozarth
13 years ago
25 posts

hi there i dont usually give out my knitting secrets so write this down

first if you cast on 45 stitches thats usually an average size head, now you can use one of two methods theres the circular needles wich will make the hat round and attatched without seems and then you could use just regular straight needles.(most people use circular) but any ways....... the pattern

K=knit p =pearl

row 1- K1,P1,K1,P1............

row2 -P1,K1,P1,K1............

row 3- K1,P1,K1,P1............

row 4- P1,K1,P1,K1............

this will make a stretchy band so it wont fall off thats called a stockenet stitch

now for10 rows just knit (add more or less depending on dread size)and then reduce once a row, once you feel it is the right size close it off and there you go if you have any trouble message me and ill help

Keith Lackey
@keith-lackey
13 years ago
62 posts

Thanks SE and Robert. I'll watch the video tom. I gotta get up at 6AM. I'll have to do some crochet research because I'm not sure what the knit and pearl mean. I'm sure the video will help. I bought a loom at Wal-Mart to do my first one.

Shanxon Lemasters
@shanxon-lemasters
13 years ago
411 posts

I've had a really hard time finding a pattern that works for me, so I just keep trying and failing and adapting other patterns to perhaps work for me lol, good luck!!!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

keith hes talking kniitting not crocheting ..both confuse me haha i havent gotten either to work but my hands are retarded i think haha

most tams i think arte crochet knoitting i think would make a tighter weave and i dunno what he meant about round needles..

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Robert shawn bozarth
@robert-shawn-bozarth
13 years ago
25 posts

the round needles are pretty much knitting needles that have a peice of plastic connecting the needles its for making hats, sweater etc....... it makes the hat to where you dont have to stitch the hat together it forms already attatched

Keith Lackey
@keith-lackey
13 years ago
62 posts

Oops. I guess I got crochet from the video. I see needles and can't tell the difference. Shows how much I know. haha. I'm going to check my loom kit and see what all it has so hopefully I won't have to buy new stuff. I'll probably order one for now since I don't really have the time to make one. (Two jobs and college is stressing me out). I'll probably take a break from school until I can figure out a better schedule. I've got acres of yarn. lol. I think you left a post SE about using wool, would that help the dread process better?

Shanxon Lemasters
@shanxon-lemasters
13 years ago
411 posts

My grandmother has a loom kit that I've been wanting to use, just be sure to not wrap too tightly, because the hats can come off pretty tight.

Keith Lackey
@keith-lackey
13 years ago
62 posts

Does that mean if I make it a little small it will come off easier?

I was thinking of making the circumference a little smaller than my measurement around my hairline, and the measurement from front to back a little big to accommodate for future growth. Does that sound like a good idea?

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form