Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

changing to freeform

Chris Mangum
@chris-mangum
13 years ago
10 posts

Wondering are there any others who started by backcombing or any other method and switched to freeform here if so i would love to chat and see there results to soaring eagle also thanks for your words of wisdom may they keep coming my way.

updated by @chris-mangum: 01/13/15 09:13:33PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

there are lots and lots who made the switch

by changing to freeform do u mean star5ting over or just letting the backcombed dreads do their thing

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Chris Mangum
@chris-mangum
13 years ago
10 posts

letting the backcombed dreads do their thing. Would love to see pics or talk to ones that have done it.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

almost everyone who backcombed here falls in that catagory thio some may have maintained awhile b4 going that way

we call this natural surrender

cause at some opoint u just get tired of the work and surender to the natural process

really all dreads should be this way after backcombn u should let them dread

but some believe that they need constant work this doesnt allow them to dread instead replaces dreading with weaving dread balling root flipping etc etc forcing it to look dreaded

but point being i bet at least 80-90% who backcombed on here now just let them do what they do

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Jasspher
@jasspher
13 years ago
10 posts

i changed from backcombing to 'natural surrender'. I have days where i wish i could just start them over properly, im about 3months in now. Dont get me wrong i love my dreads, i even have dreadlocks in my dreams now :) When you just let them go, they get loose, some fall apart completely. i have two like that, one that ive just left to do its own thing completely and the other i tnr. Because of the backcombing and rubber bands i have alot on my fringe with weak roots so i took SE's advice and let two congo together and its getting stronger.

sorry for the long ass post :)

just leave them be and do the BS/ACV wash, it will feel awesome and clean.

enjoy the process

Mons
@mons
13 years ago
518 posts

At the end of Sept. beginning of Oct, I started with backcombing too. In less than 2 weeks I quit trying to force my dreadies into some mental image I had of how they should look and let them do their thing. I have some of the craziest shit on my head right now, but I love every one of them and every minute of it. I have kinks, loops, sidewinders, squiggles, loose hairs, congos, new baby dreads and a whole lotta flat ones. I'll post some pics somewhere if you'd like to see, if I can't get them imported from my phone and figure out how to load them on my blog/page thingie....

Chris Mangum
@chris-mangum
13 years ago
10 posts

Mons said:

At the end of Sept. beginning of Oct, I started with backcombing too. In less than 2 weeks I quit trying to force my dreadies into some mental image I had of how they should look and let them do their thing. I have some of the craziest shit on my head right now, but I love every one of them and every minute of it. I have kinks, loops, sidewinders, squiggles, loose hairs, congos, new baby dreads and a whole lotta flat ones. I'll post some pics somewhere if you'd like to see, if I can't get them imported from my phone and figure out how to load them on my blog/page thingie....

Gabe McCoy
@gabe-mccoy
13 years ago
120 posts

Yep me too. If you haven't been maintaining your dreads for any amount of time and you've only initially backcombed you will notice after a few months that they take a shape completely of there own. Backcombing really just gives them a head start (and some damaged hair, more damaging if you comb them out though :o) and for me backcombing was kind of a failure anyway cause most of the dreads fell out and they just dreaded up naturally

Mons
@mons
13 years ago
518 posts

I looked up the pics I took from the day I did them, it was Sept 22nd. Quite a few of mine fell apart at least part way, I've had several grow together too. I have beads on a couple locs of loose hair that are starting to take shape. It's incredible the craziness going on on my head. I'll admit that I get freaked out now and then about the ones that become 'sidewinders' and flattened out but I'm very slowly learning to let it go and not stress over it. They'll do what they're going to do, I just have to give them time =}

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form