Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Introduction and a few questions

SpaceGhost
@spaceghost
13 years ago
37 posts

Hi I'm new here. I just started my dreadlocks last night and I feel they turned out good.

I wish to show a few pictures just for feedback and advise as I am not to sure about some points.

I know Dread Head HQ seems to get bashed a bit on forums, but I used their starter kit to make them. I know there is a heated debate on whether to use wax or not to, but I am just trying things out at the moment.

Here are some pictures, please take your time to look at them and give me any advise!

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l526/Luke_Ironside/IMG_0307.jpg?t=1320123737

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l526/Luke_Ironside/th_IMG_0304.jpg

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l526/Luke_Ironside/IMG_0319.jpg?t=1320123772

One thing is the front four dreads. They are almost just like backcombed braids which I waxed - is this normal?

updated by @spaceghost: 02/14/15 05:42:49AM
Castaway J
@castaway-j
13 years ago
585 posts

cool, i understand trying things out. gotta see for yourself i guess :)

rubberbands should come out right away if you havent already, they break hair and thats no good man.

wax prevents your hair from dreading, or locking. stopping now and getting it all out would be highly advised, that stuff stays in and traps everything. also it simply glues the hairs together and this is the opposite of what you want if you really want dreads, it keeps your hair from moving and locking.

SpaceGhost
@spaceghost
13 years ago
37 posts

Right. I've heard that before yes. So you advise not using any wax at all?

Will my dreads mature and look more tight and locking over time? Is it normal for them to look a little.... messy to begin with?

On the Dread Head HQ site it says that after backcombing it will come loose for the first few days, and then tighten over time.

Castaway J
@castaway-j
13 years ago
585 posts

yeah mature healthy locks take time. the more gunk you put in your hair the longer they will take to lock if they can even ever get that far. for true information read these forums and not an edited one. theres a great section of successful dreadlock saves that can give you an idea of what you need to do.

Castaway J
@castaway-j
13 years ago
585 posts

actually, heres a great start, this is where i got started.

http://www.dreadlockssite.com/forum/topics/dreaducation-comprehensive

SpaceGhost
@spaceghost
13 years ago
37 posts

Thanks Change, that article is an interesting read.

What is the process of your hair actually 'locking'? How do you know when it's locked?

Castaway J
@castaway-j
13 years ago
585 posts

im going natural. still only babies right now. hard to explain, just take a look around and see some photos youll learn a lot trust me :)

SpaceGhost
@spaceghost
13 years ago
37 posts

Do you use dread shampoo?

Evelyn Maes
@evelyn-maes
13 years ago
30 posts

I just saw the pictures and i noticed that your roots might be a bit big? the dreads will shrink and get bigger in time, so i would keep that in mind.

Also in wouldn't keep those rubber bands in for to long. It can make weak spots in your dreads over time.

About your shampoo question, I use an neutral organic shampoo, so without al that chemical stuff in it and works great for me. So no special dread shampoo here.

ExaltHimx7
@exalthimx7
13 years ago
336 posts

Hi & welcome sweetie'] I, too think that your sections look way big...they may turn out ok if you are looking to have huge fatties. Fatties look good if you like that, but are a lot harder to dry and keep clean, especially if you have waxed them. Wax is bad stuff, it coats the hair making it stick together, but not dread, it holds water and dirt and mold, too...just gross! I highly recommend that you do the wax removal and start over. just washing your hair with baking soda will let it separate very quickly into sections it wants to have. After it sections you can twist & rip to speed them along...best wishes on your journey!

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form