dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Hey, another newby

Joshy P
@joshy-p
13 years ago
2 posts

Hi guys, my names Josh.

I got my dreads done about 2 weeks ago, a friend did them with a crotchet comb. I've only had a brief look around here so far, and wow, a lot to take in.

Would I be right in thinking from the small bit I've read, the crotchet method may not have been the best idea ?

A few have come loose from the side of my head I sleep on, was initially planning to get my friend to do them again, but I'm thinking now I should just leave it all, and let nature take it's course ?

What will be my best method for washing etc ?

I'm really looking to forward to spending some time on here, and getting my dreaducation on. Time is a bit limited though with long work atm.

Any advice would be humbly appreciated...

Thanks, Josh.

updated by @joshy-p: 01/13/15 09:12:35PM
Egubman
@egubman
13 years ago
46 posts

i also started with crocheting, andyeah just forget bout the crochet hook. dont crochet it

there will be a lot of frizz and loose hairs in the months to come, but it will eventually dread up so dont worry bout it either

happy dreading!!

GratefulNick
@gratefulnick
13 years ago
155 posts

Being as tho your dreads are just beginning, I would use baking soda anything else like bronners or regular shampoo might make your hair slippery and it will take longer to knot up. Your dreads will constantly get loose and tighter loose and tighter the more you do to try to make them look like dreads the longer it will take and the more manufactured it will look. happy dreading

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

yea agree with nick the more u leave em alone the better

u can use a dread soap but only scrub the scalp or use the bs wich is a no touch method ofd washing

and yea absolutely no crochet in fact tell your friend its a horivble thing to do to dreads

i hope hes not maintaining that way

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Mons
@mons
13 years ago
518 posts

Hey Josh, I'm new here too. I've had my dreadies just over a month and they're amazing. I had them back-combed because employers were starting to ask questions about my grooming habits, then just let them go crazy on their own. The best thing for me with this whole journey so far has been to just let go of any reservations (what should I do, is this right, is this supposed to happen, should I try to fix this/that) and enjoy every loose hair, kink, loop and zig-zag! The baking soda will make your hair and scalp feel amazing, plus your babies will tighten up alot. Put the crochet thingie down and enjoy the ride! Peace.

Joshy P
@joshy-p
13 years ago
2 posts

Thanks very much for the reply's and comments guys, very much appreciate it.

Yeah was just the one initial time with the crotchet, I really should have done some more investigation before I went that way, but needless to say I'm quite happy with it.

The first few days I was concerned bout the frizz, and loose hairs etc, but after I came on here and looked at lots of pics, realised it's all part off it all, and began to really appreciate that natural look. At the moment I love the look of my loose hairs and loose ends.

Ok so I read a bit through SE's thread for washing them, and plan to try the baking soda tonight or tomo night, would using sea salt be a good idea too ? And do I need to do the ACV rinse ? My scalp hasn't really been itchy at all, but I think the hairs a bit oily ?

I was kinda a little lost as to the method of the washing, and how much to mix ?

Also, because there so short, when I sleep they stick right up, almost vertical, I've just been wetting them in the shower in the morning to get them down, anything else I could try ?

Thanks again guys for the friendly help with another lost newy. Would love any more advice.

Josh.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

sea salt will tighten em and dry em the acgv is important for ph banllance but if your oily use u=it extra weak

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form