Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

A question

Amanda Keller
@amanda-keller
13 years ago
4 posts

I have a few questions starting out on my dread journey, TODAY!

First off; when people say natural, some mean different things. some mean backcombing, or twist and rip, or neglect. Even when some say neglect they still have backcombed then just left their hair alone. I have decided that I want to go completely natural. No backcombing, no twist and rip, no products, no keeping them up. How many of you on here are doing this method? And to me this seems like the best method to use, what do you all think? Is it a great method, like i believe??

updated by @amanda-keller: 02/14/15 07:55:14AM
Karrington <3
@karrington-3
13 years ago
94 posts

Im doing the natural method to an extent.. I started out just twisting my hair in little curls(you can see in my pictures on my page) and one day it decided to stay that way.. :) It is actually WORLDS easier than some think.. also if you let your hair do what it wants, it creates some of the most precious dreads.. good luck on your journey! Keep us posted!

Dreads Spread Love..

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

alotta ppl use the term wromg natural dreads are freeform organic or neglect

the dreads form by themxelves no interbvention (except to seperate or not)

id guess at least 40% on here went or are going natural most are naturalizing after backcomb or tnr or crochet

1 guy came up with the tern natural surrender for those that started by force then surrendered to the natural process

id guess more then 90% on here fal into the natural/natural surrender catagories and very very few fall into the overmaintained manu=icured catagory

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Katie Kendall
@katie-kendall
13 years ago
43 posts

i consider just letting them go as being natural...i like the term natural surrender for the ones that started with a method and then surrendered to going natural..
i, for one, wanted to start with t&r and then surrender to nature..but i combed them out because i wasn't happy with them...after a few months i just quit brushing and conditioning and am only washing with black soap..the dreads that have formed are more beautiful than i ever could have asked for..i'm so amazed at how fast i started to see progress...i do have one t&r dreadie in the very front, just for comparison's sake to see how different it looks from the others when mature...=]

Amanda Keller
@amanda-keller
13 years ago
4 posts

I also have one T&R dread, and i've had him for about three-four months. I didnt like the way it looked much, to me, it looked braided but that look eventually went away when it started pulling a little more hair onto it. I am happy with it now, but i still want to go all natural. Today was the first "official" day of not brushing my hair. I went about a week n a half like a month ago without brushing them but got so much criticism from my family i'm living with that i got upset and brushed my hair, which was such a stupid idea because i was already making progress and so happy! I cried after i brushed them out. :(

Thanks for answering my questions guys! I feel so very welcome here already! Nice to meet every single one of you!!!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

just dont give up even if u get complaints

you dont gotta please noone but you

--
Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts

i'm doing natural but not neglect because i separate. its been a very long journey for me. i had really healthy soft hair to begin with so it took about 4-5 months for me to get my hair dry/damaged enough to start knotting. its definitely trying my patience but i'm hoping when i have full mature dreadlocks that i'll look back and be happy with my decision to do it this way. i think it will be another year though before that happens.

Lisa Palmer
@lisa-palmer
13 years ago
7 posts

I just started mine as twist and rip but i'm just letting it do it's own thing apart from separating. I'm not even going all the way with separating. I have a couple that obviously wanted to join together so i'm letting them. I've got a nice congo at the nape of my neck. It's now one of my favorites. In my opinion a lot of people when referring to natural they mean without wax or crap in them.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

alot use the term wrong

salons will sell "natural dreads" that are clip ons as long as they are human hair..or even yarn but not synthetic materials

it hurts everyones understanding when the terms used improperly

many ppl dont even understand that dreads can form naturaly because whenever hey heard natur5al dreads it was from a salon

Lisa Palmer said:

I just started mine as twist and rip but i'm just letting it do it's own thing apart from separating. I'm not even going all the way with separating. I have a couple that obviously wanted to join together so i'm letting them. I've got a nice congo at the nape of my neck. It's now one of my favorites. In my opinion a lot of people when referring to natural they mean without wax or crap in them.

--
Amanda Keller
@amanda-keller
13 years ago
4 posts

Thanks for the support. I'm definately not going to give up this time. I haven't brushed my hair in like three days! And i'm loving it already, lol. Nothing is going on yet, but a few months ago when I did this they started forming after about a week. So not too much longer i will start posting pictures. :)

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form