dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Tam patterns

Heathen Hippie )O(
@heathen-hippie-o
13 years ago
164 posts

Hi y'all. Again. :D

In my previous post I mentioned crocheting... but I am wondering if any of you lovely people have a pattern you would be willing to share or can link me to a pattern? I am starting with acrylic bc wool is expensive and I'm just learning... And do the patterns you use have knitting instructions? I don't know how to knit. I'm focusing on crochet for now... the book of patterns I bought has knitting instructions. lol Blech. I still need to figure out how to use a gauge, too!

Anyway it would be much appreciated, anyone who can help me out.

<3

updated by @heathen-hippie-o: 01/13/15 09:10:12PM
Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts

i love to crochet! i learned how to make a tam last year when i started my dreads. i find the best tutorials on youtube. here's the one i started out with

i also like this youtubers channel http://www.youtube.com/user/tjw1963 . she has a ton of great crochet tutorials and she's really great at teaching beginners.

you might want to look on etsy, too. i've bought a few patterns for hat on there and they tell you in the description what stitches are used so you'll know if you'll be able to do the project.

Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts

oh and if you have a michael's arts and crafts in your state they have good sales around this time of year on yarn.

Heathen Hippie )O(
@heathen-hippie-o
13 years ago
164 posts

THANKS HEATHER! lol Sorry for the caps but this excites me. :P We definitely do have a Michael's not to far away. I'm so going there this weekend! I will have to write down the pattern from that vid since I won't have the computer tomorrow. Do I need a gauge for that? Cuz I have no idea how to use a gauge and I tend to stitch tightly sometimes. I will have to control that. lol.

Heather said:

oh and if you have a michael's arts and crafts in your state they have good sales around this time of year on yarn.

Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts

the gauge is basically a chain or a section worked and then measured. i personally don't worry about it but if you crochet tight then your work might come out a bit smaller than the pattern. just practice relaxing your hand while you crochet. if you do it tight then your going to have cramped hands halfway through your project. nice thing with crochet is that none of it is permanent. if it's not working up right then you can just unravel it and start over. no wasted product:)

Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts

also, you could always go up a size in hook than what the pattern calls for and that would probably gauge you up enough to compensate for your tight stitching.

Mary
@mary
13 years ago
140 posts

I have been creating a tam with the help of a youtube video. I use a 5.50mm hook and a roll of Red Heart yarn that I bought at walmart for $2.58 and it kind of looks like wool. I have been following this video:

I may start following this one

HippyFish
@hippyfish
13 years ago
76 posts

I may be a little late here, but there is also a great side called Knitting Help and they have an infinite amount of info on knitting (which is where I picked up a lot of my self taught knowledge since I was inspired from starting dreads) and I think even some stuff on crochet, plus tons of tutorials, videos, and definitions.

Hope I'm not too late too help, good luck to you ;-)

Heathen Hippie )O(
@heathen-hippie-o
13 years ago
164 posts

Nope, you're not too late! I'm just not on much because we're moving, no internet where we're going...lol

I really wish I knew how to knit, I think that's going to be my next project when I'm done with hats and stuff for my family. I will check out their crochet patterns.Thanks! :D

Earthiest said:

I may be a little late here, but there is also a great side called Knitting Help and they have an infinite amount of info on knitting (which is where I picked up a lot of my self taught knowledge since I was inspired from starting dreads) and I think even some stuff on crochet, plus tons of tutorials, videos, and definitions.

Hope I'm not too late too help, good luck to you ;-)

Sunshine
@sunshine
13 years ago
34 posts

I'm doing a class on how to crochet a Tam WEdnesday the 19th LIVE on this site. check out the events!

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form