Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Really needing some advice, worried about the health of my dreads

kendle
@kendle
13 years ago
6 posts

So i was doing some research around the dreadlocks site and some others about dread mold because i was being paranoid thinking that i have it (my hair doesnt smell bad or anything just sometimes i worry) when i came across something an article about what we wash our hair with which caused a great deal of concern. Ever since i dreaded my hair ive been washing with baking soda and some essential oils (about 2/3 cup of baking soda to a gallon of water) i would pour it over my hair and then sit under the shower head for a minute gently rubbing my hair to make sure i got all the baking soda out. Well i started thinking about this and then i started to notice that while ive had my dreads for about 9 months and most of them are starting to lock up up pretty good, they haven't really been doing much else as of late and im worried that my dreads being pretty firm (not to firm tho) is not because they are locking up really well but moreso that there is all sorts of baking soda stuck in there and its actually hindering my dreads from furthering in the process. has this happened to any of you? do any of you know if this is even possible? and what could be some solutions to this issue if it were to happen.

sorry if this has been done before, i ohnestly could not find anything on this topic

updated by @kendle: 02/14/15 09:44:15AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

it cant baking soda when in water decomposes into gasses the rinsing isnt to get the baking soda out but to get the dirt out the baking soda removed

are u doing acv after?

what progressing are u expecting if theyre already good and tight

u shouldnt have to rub em at all pour on soak awhile rinse off i necver touch em unles i do maylee after

and u will not need to worry bout mold if u dont smell them getting moldy

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
kendle
@kendle
13 years ago
6 posts

ooo ok thank you!! thats very helpful.i didnt know any of this about baking soda, just that it was alot better to wash your hair with in general than shampoo, i just started doing acv rinse last week and that was the first time and only time ive done it since then, was planning on doing it tonight tho. as far s the progress goes , i guess i was expecting them to puff up more as right now they pretty much look like rat tails on my head

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

how many do u have how were they started

how bout pics?

--
kendle
@kendle
13 years ago
6 posts

i will try to get some pics up, i have em on my gf's computer at the moment because i had to reformat mine, My dreads were done the TnR way and when i did them i did 1 inch by 1 inch sections and as for howmany i have i have 26 dreads.. i would probably have more but some of them came out so i need to do a whole section on both sides of my head over again

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

no u dont they will do themselves but 1 inch should thicken up good

surpirised they havent at 9 months unless u play with em wear em up or in a hat too much or are too oily

but if u been doing bs without acv u shouldnt be oily

--
kendle
@kendle
13 years ago
6 posts

the hat could possibly be an issue..i wear a knit tam/beanie almost every single day since i started my dread journey (only when i go out tho) but recently ive stopped wearing it at all, weather i go out or not and hopefully this pic is ok i tried to resize it and i have no idea why its black and white lol guess thats just how my camera wanted to take it

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

they look great the hat maybe slowed things a bit

--
kendle
@kendle
13 years ago
6 posts

so you think in time they will get bigger? o on a side note ive been having some pretty bad dandruff since ive had dreads..ive always had dandruff but i dont think i knew just how bad it is untill i had dreads ...what would you suggest for curing dandruff issues? ive tried baking soda, acv, dr bronners, ive scrubbed not scrubbed nothing seems to work and it seems like its creating buildup

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

baking soda acv but with teatree rosmary pepermint added

--
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form