dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

dreads roots tightening traction alopecia

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

Dreads roots tightening

dreads never need the roots tightened, yes they are loose for months, yes even when mature you get some loose hairs around the deadlocks but this is how it should be!

salons and locticians push a "manicured" dreads look which tends to mean 2 thingesd

no variation in shape size or texture

and roots tightened to a painful degree.

this causes:

Traction alopecia!

traction alopecia is a hair loss caused by ..you guessed it traction, or the constant pulling from over extreme tighteness. traction alopecia hair loss can be temporary if caught early and the causes relieved or it can be permenant if the 1st early signs are ignored and the scalp trauma becomes too severe.

the following images are random examples most are not from dreads tightening but from extreme tight braiding or even just pulling back on a too tight ponytail or bun over a long period of time.

alopecia hair loss has a chance of being permanent if its stopped early it can grow back however if its allowed to progress it can require a transplant

now african americans are victims of traction alopecia more often due to corn rows and tight braids (and are victimized by salons more into believuing they have to have these extreme tight hair pulling styles)

this is a much more advanced stage

these problems were caused by salons catering to african american styles they know the hair texture and the consequences

this was probly from pulling it back in a lil knot in the back all the roots that had the most tighteness are now gone

clasic example of traction alopecia from repetative braiding or corn rows its unfortunate that this is often thought of a s a "clean and tidy" look when everythings pulled ijn tight as can be

braids or dreads (i think these are braids) this is the classic pattern from over tightening the roots

tiny thin dreads surrounded by lots of scalp and the hair thinning and causing bald spots

twisting dreads caused this these look like they havent been twisted in 6 months but the damage is dione

what u can be left with if u take out your braids/dreads

it can affect children and is why theeres been an alarming rise in 16-19 year olds gettig expensive hair transplants

not enough left to tell if they were braids or dreads but something used ti be there that was tightened to destruction

thick head of hair about to be thinned

this brings us to the causes of traction alopecia

tightening the roots

interlocking

twisting

to a lesser degree root rubbing

or even crocheting

anything that forces the roots to be tighter then nature allows them can cause this

your hair ..and roots will tighten over time then stop at a point most confortable hair will not pull itelf out naturaly it will leave enough loosenerss to prevent harm

forcing tightness beyond this point will eventualy lead to traction alopecia

its affecting milions look on the sreet how many "manicured" dreads do u see that look like they are going bald? look closely

you will see it everywhere you go

check back years later and see just how far it progressed

its never smart to tighten dreads roots

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 01/13/15 09:09:39PM
Graciela Valderrama
@graciela-valderrama
13 years ago
8 posts

Thank you so much for this detailed explanation, SE!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

haha i think the pictures do all the explaining

--
Mary
@mary
13 years ago
140 posts

Ouch! I remember the days of getting my hair done by the Liberians. I had to tell them to leave the front out or braid looser because they would do it so tight you would lose your edges. My sister gets back to back weaves in her hair and she is very insecure about her edges because they are damaged. People don't realize how much damage pull marks can have.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

i knokw antd they sure push that look as being tidy and manicured shaming you into thinking you have to have it pulled in so tight u go bald

--
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form