Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

dreads in a relationship..

Jake Cantrell
@jake-cantrell
15 years ago
5 posts
okay say you have dreads. but your significant other or girlfriend or boyfriend, doesnt and maybe doesnt really support you. i mean you love them and they love you.. but the whole lifestyle of dreads doesnt sit well with them. what to do what to do?? lol
updated by @jake-cantrell: 02/14/15 09:48:15AM
Jayah O
@jayah-o
15 years ago
38 posts
I haven't dreaded up yet, but when I first told my hubby I wanted to, he kinda freaked out. He said "WHY?...you have such lovely hair. I love your hair!" I simply told him that it's my hair, I understand where you are coming from but can you please support me in this? He totally gets it!!! He is fine with it, now, plus he knows that I'm very stubborn and would be REALLY ticked if he put up a huge fuss. =) To me there is really no reason why I can't dread my hair. I am a stay home mom of 3..plus the dog.I want to grow and change and be a better person. The dread journey is a means to an end for many people, I think. After 11yrs of marriage, I think we understand each other much better than when we first started dating :)
☮Izzy-licious☮
@izzy-licious
15 years ago
183 posts
I am in a relationship with someone who has negative out look on dreads through sterotypes... though he has a negative out look on pretty much everything... He may make a comment.. but then he'll say, eh whatever you are still beautiful and it's your hair i can't make you do anything... I think once they are mature he will probably LOVE them but they are still babies and can look a little scary...
Jo
@jo
15 years ago
176 posts
I would look at the specifics, like what do they not like about dreads?like do they think that they arent clean? (which is wrong)they dont like the looks?and then you can make your debate easier.I mean its just hair, and its no reason for breakups or fights.
Iain
@iain
15 years ago
844 posts
if they can accept it over time, then its a good thing, if not, and they absolutely hate them, In all honesty I'd break up with that person. I told my current girlfriend that before I started dreading, she was all for it, then months later she asked me, what If I said "NO, you can't do that!" I told her I'd immediately break up with her and move on,from my point of view it just saves me the time and foreshadows the nature of that person. be they a open mind or even respectful individual matters more to me than looks or action,
Blonde Dready
@blonde-dready
15 years ago
84 posts
u speak the truth my brotha!!! xD way to stick it to em lol i told my gf that i will never be controlled! ima free spirit for life and will live the way i want! haha this thread inspired me ;) Iain said:
if they can accept it over time, then its a good thing, if not, and they absolutely hate them, In all honesty I'd break up with that person. I told my current girlfriend that before I started dreading, she was all for it, then months later she asked me, what If I said "NO, you can't do that!" I told her I'd immediately break up with her and move on,
from my point of view it just saves me the time and foreshadows the nature of that person. be they a open mind or even respectful individual matters more to me than looks or action,
Faelwynn
@faelwynn
15 years ago
362 posts
My mate was iffy over it at first, but after a while he confessed " I wasn't so keen on it at first, but they've really grown on me!" I'm not too sure what I would have done had he not warmed up. It seems a bit stupid for me to break it off after over 2 and a half years over my hair, but he knows that I'm not the type of person to just give something I believe in up over him; and he wouldn't love me if I was that wishy washy. Point is, he knows that when I want to do something and feel that it would better myself, that he should support it just like I do for him. Basis of an awesome relationship is support. If you can't get the support then I'd be jumping ship.
Spider Feet
@spider-feet
15 years ago
458 posts
ARRRR! @ Faelwynn. lolI just had a conversation with an ex last night about the free-spirit thing. It started with a conversation about astrological signs and how Aquarius tends to be "independent". Nothing bad or anything, just how when I make up my mind there is nothing to stop me. XD I guess that works with the dreads too.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
everyone had such good responcesand well dreads tend to tell u what theyre after in a relationship if they are shallow only adfter how u look or how u make them, look or how much u can buy them they will hate your dreads and fight against em but if they are in the relationship to be with a special person they will over time realize dreads add to the specialness and will accept emleave the choice up to them trell em the dreads are hear to stay they can accept it or not its theyre choice.

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Tanner Bonsie
@tanner-bonsie
15 years ago
20 posts
i keep them hahamy gf doesn't like them shecomplains that she can't play with my hairand i just go that sucks you'll get over it
 / 2

Dislike 1

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form