Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Crochet method.. maybe too tight? how can i fix this?

Jovian Ancira
@jovian-ancira
13 years ago
4 posts

hey guys. i started my dreads just over a week ago using the crochet method. my hair was about 10 inches long before i started, so they are pretty small still. so anyway i really liked crocheting a lot because it was very easy to manipulate each dread to look the way i wanted it too (getting rid of loops and stray hairs, etc.) without having to wait months or years for them to look the way i wanted. im a bit impatient, and i really didnt want to walk around forever with a crazy rats nest on my head. especially with all of the stereotypes that people have about them, that they are gross and nasty. i didnt want my skeptical friends, or my ladyfriend, to be right about them looking like hell.

anyway, i digress. yesterday i used my crochet hook to make a rounded tip on each of my dreads. and in doing that they tightened up dramatically, and now it looks like i have skinny tarantula legs coming off my head. and considering that majority of them are sectioned into 2" squares, they should be much bigger, and you can see a good deal of the root hair at the top of my head.

im just wondering if they will loosen up as they mature, and eventually look better. or if not, if there is something i can do to try to fatten them up a bit. ill attach some pics so you guys can see what im talking about. maybe im overreacting, i just dont wanna screw them up only a week in. but any opinions would be great.

updated by @jovian-ancira: 01/13/15 09:09:08PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

no u already screwed them up from the moment u sectioned and becgan to crochet

2 inch sections are twice as big as u ever want them to be! then u crochet so they are so extremely tight they cant dread and it will take a year to recover and puff up in that year your fear of messiness will backfire cause u broke so many hairs they will get extra extra extra fuzzey and messy

but they will bnot even begin to dread for a year now

plus u do ot want the tips blunted at all

the best thing u can do at this oi]oint is start iover theres no other choice because of the massive sections and the way extreme tightness and damage

criochets simply a h\orible thing to ever do to dreads

so comb them out carefully

you will lose a hell of alot of hair cfrom akkl the damage u did

let them heal a week otr 2 then either go natural or do twist and riop

leave the loops alone

loops mean they are dreading

if u destroy the loops u stop the dreading

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

wait b4 u start over count them im not sure those are 2 inch sections

if you have under 20 id start over if around 30 your ok

but u should comb out the tuips and condition the hell out odf them yto loosen them up and throw away the hook no break it then throw it away

--
Jovian Ancira
@jovian-ancira
13 years ago
4 posts

well the ones on the top are about 2". around the edge, like my bangs and whatnot, they are about 1"

i have a total of 37.

as far as the blunted tips, i personally just like the way it looks.

i have only been using the crochet for a week. and after reading the forums on here about the negative effects of it, i am definitely going to stop. but before this, i really haddnt seen anybody say anything bad about it, except for that it can break your hair. most tutorials and things online promote the use of the hook.

i hafta say, i have been gentle, and i have a very tender head, so its not like i was raking on it at all.

i have seen people saying to condition it and such to help loosen it. with the state my hair is in right now. do you think that it can at least help?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

yea i would and id consiser starting over the 2 inch drw=eads thats pretty huge

the blunt tips will cause them tio fdry 5 times slower that can mean 38 hours instead of 6

thats a higher risk of mold

yea i would condition alot cause crochet recovery takes a real long time even with conditioning

the prrson whos most responcible for promoting crochet in 1 vid was doing his gg-=fs dreads and 1 came right off in his hands with a fvery k]light tug

we had 1 member lose 4 dreads by diving in a pool

its a horible thig to do to dreads

--
Jovian Ancira
@jovian-ancira
13 years ago
4 posts

ok. so the top of my head is sectioned into 9 dreads at 2" how big should i make them? i want fat dreads, not skinny little spider legs. i look like a juggalo (no offense to juggalos)

i know i can still comb them out. i did it to my bangs because i decided i didnt want the blunt tip on them cause i looked like rick james.

also, my hair is stupid thick, so im not really worried about some of it coming out when i comb them. but in that, that is why im worried about how small and tight they are. with my hairs thickness, they should be giant.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

1 inch is the thickest u should want and if u want thicjk crochet was a very bad cl]hoice cause it majkes them 1/3 the size a healthy dread should be

--
Phil Hulford
@phil-hulford
13 years ago
38 posts
Dunno if you have re started or not yet dude but yea maybe the hook was not a great idea as a way to start them... However, my sections are 2 inches all over my head and I also have crazy thick hair. Mine at one month old look thin and spider like but they WILL thicken up, have a look at my previous dreads photo album on my profile and you'll see how much they thicken up! That set I had looked similar to yours as I used to maintain with a needle and thread (pretty much the same as crochet hook) for the first 3 months but then I stopped....After that 3 months later they were getting really fat and within one year they were how the pics show em :) hope that encourages you a little....Like I said, mine are skinny little things at the mo but when I need some courage I take a peek at people beginning dreads and the 6-12 months later and feel better!Don't use the hook any more, wash and just let em be :)
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form