Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

my first comment and it wasn't nice:(

Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts

i was feeling pretty good about how my hair was looking today so instead of my usual bandanna when i go out i decided to wear a thin, pretty headband.

so i was at the gas station and i went up to the teller to pay and an african american couple came in behind me. i had a feeling the girl was going to say something because of how loud she was being with her boyfriend. out of no where she blurts out "you trying to do locs or something?". i turned around and said yes and that i was doing them the natural way and that i hadn't brushed my hair in almost a year. she immediately gave me a stink face and said " who the hell told you to do that?" she kind of threw me off because i wasn't expecting her to say something like that. i then said "excuse me? nobody told me to do that." her boyfriend started to snicker and then i finished my transaction and walked out. i heard her say to her boyfriend "stupid white girl thinks she can have locs." and then they laughed. i didn't even look back. i completely ignored her when she went back to her car full of people parked right next to my car and started to talk to them about my "stupid hair".

why are people so mean? what is it to them how i wear my hair? why do some afican americans feel like they own the dreadlocks hairstyle?

if anyone has any words of advice that i can use next time, it would be appreciated. she really had me thrown. i know that i'm going to get weird looks and possible mean comments thrown at me but i guess i just wasn't prepared today:(

updated by @heather: 02/03/18 03:45:10PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

id just throw it right back at em with "what do you mean nobody has to tell me how to dread all hair knows how to dread" then at the stupid comment id reply well hmm stupid how come i'm the only 1 here who knows anything about dreads

remember theyre comments come out of ignorance so dont be afraid to expose theyre ignorance for what it is

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Kid Ayn Gibran
@kid-ayn-gibran
13 years ago
25 posts

Ay Dread no need to fret. Dreads, like ignorance, belongs to no particular race, gender, creed, religion, etc. Next time you don't even need to respond. Sometimes ignorant people are best to be ignored.

Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts

i'm not a very confrontational person so i was a bit stuck when she said that and with the manner in which she said it. kind of funny though because she had a big moutain of fake braids piled on top of her head. i think it was a wig. i really wish i had something witty to say back at her but really i'm still learning and i don't feel confident enough to stand my ground yet.

soaring eagle said:

id just throw it right back at em with "what do you mean nobody has to tell me how to dread all hair knows how to dread" then at the stupid comment id reply well hmm stupid how come i'm the only 1 here who knows anything about dreads

remember theyre comments come out of ignorance so dont be afraid to expose theyre ignorance for what it is

Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts

thanks:) i think you said it perfectly. "Dreads, like ignorance, belongs to no particular race, gender, creed, religion, etc."

Kid Ayn Gibran said:

Ay Dread no need to fret. Dreads, like ignorance, belongs to no particular race, gender, creed, religion, etc. Next time you don't even need to respond. Sometimes ignorant people are best to be ignored.

Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts

i probably wouldn't have said anything if she had just made a comment but because she asked me a question i was trying to be polite and answer her back. i guess that was a big mistake.

Kid Ayn Gibran said:

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

so then just smile laufh and walk away a laugh at her pathetic attempt at an insult will piss her off motre rthen if u spent hours arguing with her

she wanted to get a reaction but if u just laugh at her and walk away u disarm her and leave her feeling like a fool

Heather said:

i'm not a very confrontational person so i was a bit stuck when she said that and with the manner in which she said it. kind of funny though because she had a big moutain of fake braids piled on top of her head. i think it was a wig. i really wish i had something witty to say back at her but really i'm still learning and i don't feel confident enough to stand my ground yet.

soaring eagle said:

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts

good idea.

soaring eagle said:

so then just smile laufh and walk away a laugh at her pathetic attempt at an insult will piss her off motre rthen if u spent hours arguing with her

she wanted to get a reaction but if u just laugh at her and walk away u disarm her and leave her feeling like a fool

Heather said:

soaring eagle said:

FoxPaw
@foxpaw
13 years ago
114 posts
sorry this happened, i hate these type of awkward situations.. I say the typical "Man you lose your comb and see what happens" or "Its what my hair naturally wants to do so why not let it do it?" (it gives me a big self esteem boost, makes me feel connected to everyone & everything( We all know this)) they can take it or leave it, but individuals, like this one, make me feel better as a person because in a way little things like this make me the way that i am.I live in TN (Im originally from California) & i deal with narrow mindedness here & there.. Like.. "Get a haircut! Fag!" etc.. i just look at em like "What are you doing? Really? Come on get out of the 50s"But i get mostly positive comments if anything
FoxPaw
@foxpaw
13 years ago
114 posts
everything in the end will be great, patience patience patience (I still have to remind myself this on 'bad hair days' or negative comments)
 / 8

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form