Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Uh... sebum.

Heathen Hippie )O(
@heathen-hippie-o
13 years ago
164 posts

Ok I know this is gross but apparently sebum is a fact of life, and it likes me. I don't have dandruff or a dirty scalp but I have minor issues with itching every once in a while and now that someone has mentioned what sebum is, I think I have found my culprit. I have been advised on how to fix this problem, but I am 2 precious weeks into my natural dread journey and sebum is making a home in my roots. I don't want to have to start all over, so does anyone have any ideas on how to get it out of my hair/roots? It seems really ucky to me and I like to stay clean, so it bothers me...

t.i.a.

-Sara )O(

updated by @heathen-hippie-o: 02/14/15 09:58:24AM
ExaltHimx7
@exalthimx7
13 years ago
336 posts
Hi'] I hated that build up on my scalp, too! I like to use Suave clarifying shampoo diluted in an old shampoo bottle - 1/4 to 1/3 shampoo to 3/4 to 2/3 water - just squeeze a good amount on your head and use your fingertips to really scrub just your scalp. Make sure you get the whole scalp, in back of your ears and head. Then rinse really, really well. I use an ACV rinse after and then follow with a cold rinse. it's worked so well for me...good luck!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

what were u advised?

jojoba is so close to natural skin oils that putting jojoba on the scalp tricks the scaklp into thinking its over produced sebum so shuts down production

so try a clarifying anti residue shampoo to remove it and dip a finger or cuetip in jojoba and put a thin layer on the scalp

in a few weeks it should produce less and less

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Heathen Hippie )O(
@heathen-hippie-o
13 years ago
164 posts

*You* told me to use jojoba oil. haha. I just put the oil down the top/middle of my scalp and let it from there?

And I just wanna make sure... I don't have to brush anything out, if I just use a clarifying shampoo and scrub my roots it should loosen it and get it out of my hair, right? :D
soaring eagle said:

what were u advised?

jojoba is so close to natural skin oils that putting jojoba on the scalp tricks the scaklp into thinking its over produced sebum so shuts down production

so try a clarifying anti residue shampoo to remove it and dip a finger or cuetip in jojoba and put a thin layer on the scalp

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

u might have to put the jojoba all over your scalp and the clarifying shampoos work so well it wll ccome out super ez

Sara M~ )O( said:

*You* told me to use jojoba oil. haha. I just put the oil down the top/middle of my scalp and let it from there?

And I just wanna make sure... I don't have to brush anything out, if I just use a clarifying shampoo and scrub my roots it should loosen it and get it out of my hair, right? :D
soaring eagle said:

what were u advised?

--
Heathen Hippie )O(
@heathen-hippie-o
13 years ago
164 posts

Thank you! Peace of mind. Ahhh. haha.

ExaltHimx7
@exalthimx7
13 years ago
336 posts

don't brush anything at all but your teeth'] (hehe)

Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
13 years ago
667 posts

SE, that is not really true. Jojoba is a "healthy" oil, which allows hair to breathe so to speak...but to advise someone to put it on the scalp to trick it into producing less oil is misleading. For starters, you need some oil in your hair , as it acts as a protective layer. Also, if someone is over producing oil, you have to first ask why. Generally, an over-production is due to a hormone situation, as in puberty , menopause or pregnancy. But can also be because of illness. Sometimes, if a person works in a certain environment they may begin to over produce oil on the scalp to counter the imbalance. Sebum isn't some nasty substance to be eliminated. Sebum is a natural by product of our skin...a mix of skin cells, oils, and perspiration and it is necessary. It isn't a disorder and the normal, healthy way to deal with it is to wash our hair...and not just once a month...or year...as some people seem to think on this site. You never will or should eliminate sebum. It is like telling someone to put a coating of paint on their skin so they don't sweat...not only unhealthy but silly.
soaring eagle said:

what were u advised?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

well i was reado=ing on oyther sites that jojonbas used to treat acne caused by over production of sebum as li[ong as its not severe

the jojoba tricks the skin into producing less

and yea your right just washing regularly is the best i=option

Panterra Caraway said:

SE, that is not really true. Jojoba is a "healthy" oil, which allows hair to breathe so to speak...but to advise someone to put it on the scalp to trick it into producing less oil is misleading. For starters, you need some oil in your hair , as it acts as a protective layer. Also, if someone is over producing oil, you have to first ask why. Generally, an over-production is due to a hormone situation, as in puberty , menopause or pregnancy. But can also be because of illness. Sometimes, if a person works in a certain environment they may begin to over produce oil on the scalp to counter the imbalance. Sebum isn't some nasty substance to be eliminated. Sebum is a natural by product of our skin...a mix of skin cells, oils, and perspiration and it is necessary. It isn't a disorder and the normal, healthy way to deal with it is to wash our hair...and not just once a month...or year...as some people seem to think on this site. You never will or should eliminate sebum. It is like telling someone to put a coating of paint on their skin so they don't sweat...not only unhealthy but silly.
soaring eagle said:

what were u advised?

--
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
13 years ago
667 posts

Yes, you are right...jojoba can be good for skin, and sometimes used in the treatment of acne as you mentioned. But, the biggest cause of acne is hormone imbalance and many people mistakedly over dry the skin instead of adequately moisturize (which can trick the skin into balance as you have suggested). :)

soaring eagle said:

well i was reado=ing on oyther sites that jojonbas used to treat acne caused by over production of sebum as li[ong as its not severe

the jojoba tricks the skin into producing less

and yea your right just washing regularly is the best i=option

Panterra Caraway said:

soaring eagle said:

what were u advised?

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form