Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Doing the natural method

RSavage26
@rsavage26
13 years ago
50 posts

Hello again. I have been letting my hair do its thing for the past three months and so far I'm loving it. No more picks, no more creams, no more salon visits. It's really nice save for the occasional ignorance from my family but oh well. However, I just want to show my progress and see if you guys think I'm on the right track. I just washed my hair today using baking soda and vinegar. Then I oiled my hair with olive oil and seperated my hair into different sections. I only have a picture (kinda blurry though I tried to sharpen) of my front, but if you need to see the back I can put a picture of that up too. Any advice would be great. :)

updated by @rsavage26: 01/13/15 09:08:17PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,639 posts

african hair does require some oils since you dont really produce any at all really but over oiling will reduce progress and olive oils kinda a tyhicker oil thats not ideal and is very easy to over use

lettig it get slightly dry will help but u gotta be careful with that too since your hairs easy to over dry to the point of britleness

u might want to try ocasional light use ogf aloe (pure aloe with nothing elwse in it) instead

or if u do the baking soda acv add a real small ammount of jojoba to the acv

at least that seems to make sense to me ive used olive oil b4 and left me feelin slimy sticky slippery and was hard to remove

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,639 posts

ah ok my mistake tho i thought the skin tends to be dryer as well

im not sure tho

and i think alotta thats society pressure to do very unatural things to your hair even when yoir trying to go more natural

--
RSavage26
@rsavage26
13 years ago
50 posts

Desirae and soaring eagle,

Here's what I currently do with my hair:

Daily: wash hair with just water during my shower --> shake out water after I'm done --> air dry for 10-30 minutes --> scrunch out any leftover water --> oil scalp in four sections with olive oil --> section hair from front to back --> shake head

Weekly: do baking soda/ vinegar method to clean my hair, then pretty much do the same stuff as daily

I would use ACV but it causes me to break-out so I use white vinegar instead and it seems to work practically the same.

I also spray my hair with water and sea salt (2 tsp because I don't want to dry out my hair) every 2-3 days. I do it at night and then rise it out in the morning.

I can't buy jojoba oil right now (not in my budget), but I do have the following oils available:

olive

lavender/tea tree (combined)

rosemary

I also have pure aloe vera juice.

Which of these would be the best to add while washing my hair?

Desirae Rose said:

Looking forward to seeing how your locs progress. ^_^

How often do you plan to oil your hair for now?

Just gotta add a bit of a correction, though. Afro-textured hair (well, the scalp, really) DOES produce oil the same as everyone else, but due to the way the hair is, the oil doesn't reach the full length of the hair (well, that, and also many people with that type of hair don't properly take care of their hair and scalps, so a lot of mistreatment also leads to brittleness and dryness). ^_^

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,639 posts

i assume u have african type hair then?

--
RSavage26
@rsavage26
13 years ago
50 posts

Yeah. I put up my picture in the original post. It's quite coarse and kinky, but I love my hair. I just want some advice so I can know what I'm doing right and where I can improve. That's all.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,639 posts

well u seem to be doing a ok routine

--
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form