Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Why not to wear hats when natural dreading - my year and a half journy and the effect the hat had.

colbi godlove
@colbi-godlove
13 years ago
48 posts

So i started growing my hair when i was about 12 and dreaded when i was 14, I was addicted to wearing my hat though. for the first entire year of dreading i only had 2 immature dreads so on my 16th bday i had my friends jump me and remove all hats out of my grasp, That was on may 9th, its now aug 12 and i am fully dreaded ( not mature dreads but my hair is all immature dreaded )

I wanted to warn all of you natural dreadies to be aware of the hat effect lol it messed up some locks roots and now i got like 6 dreads on the top of my head sprouting out of one mat, idc but it upsets me the hat did damage to the natural process, Im still keeping my locks for eternity though :P

pic of 1 of 2 dreads after over one year of not dreading with a hat. ill post my dreads when i can take a pic

updated by @colbi-godlove: 07/25/22 01:05:30PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

thats a fat dread

and i remember how hard it was to getr u to stop wearing that hat haha i thought id have to hire someone to follow u aropund and steal em everytime u put 1 on

i remember for months u kept saying youd stop wearing it and it took months b4 u finaly went 1 full day without it and u acted like that single act of going a day without a hat was such a major event in yur life lol

think ill feature this

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts
i wore a tam to bed every night for the first 5 - 6 months because everyone on the forum was saying that a wool tam would help with knotting. when i stopped wearing it my hair finally started to knot up. i hate wearing a hat so i guess thats a good thing:)
Jesse Parker
@jesse-parker
13 years ago
57 posts
meh i have to for work but not for a super long time my hair isnt doing to bad.
colbi godlove
@colbi-godlove
13 years ago
48 posts

LMFAO man it was a HUGE MAJOR EVENT lol. i think i was 10 when i put a hat on. 16 when i took a hat off. lol thanks for stickin with me and not going crazy, i did say i would stop every other day for a good year lol

soaring eagle said:

thats a fat dread

and i remember how hard it was to getr u to stop wearing that hat haha i thought id have to hire someone to follow u aropund and steal em everytime u put 1 on

i remember for months u kept saying youd stop wearing it and it took months b4 u finaly went 1 full day without it and u acted like that single act of going a day without a hat was such a major event in yur life lol

think ill feature this

G.O.A hippie
@goa-hippie
13 years ago
7 posts
hey guys ..im 3 montsinto crochet recovery ..i havent done any thing to my hair since then .....and wash my hair like once in 2 weeks...And i also wear a tam most of the time ....So what i wanted to know was is the tam good for my dreads or not?......Cheerz...positive vibes to ull
colbi godlove
@colbi-godlove
13 years ago
48 posts

If you already made the foundation of the dreads by yourself then at that stage you need tightening, so yes a tam would be good for your stage since you want compression now and you don't really need movement to make knotts, but i think the tam would help your stage more then any other stage of dreading

G.O.A hippie said:

hey guys ..im 3 montsinto crochet recovery ..i havent done any thing to my hair since then .....and wash my hair like once in 2 weeks...And i also wear a tam most of the time ....So what i wanted to know was is the tam good for my dreads or not?......
Cheerz...positive vibes to ull
G.O.A hippie
@goa-hippie
13 years ago
7 posts

cherrzz maan!!

GoldenEagle
@goldeneagle
13 years ago
393 posts

After your shift, let your hair back down and separate your dreadlocks and you'll be fine.

Dalton Blose said:

I really want to start the natural dread process as soon as possible but wear i work i have to tie my hair back and wear a hat. I don't work too much, only a few hours a day and only like 3-4 days most weeks. think this would hinder the progress of my dreads? i have thick, curly, frizzy hair and after a few days with no wash or messing with it starts to form obvious baby dreads. i have a feeling it would dread pretty fast but the hat at work worries me.

sambo
@sambo
13 years ago
37 posts
man, i'm going through this EXACT same thing. i dunno i've worn some kind of head covering pretty much every day for the last 7 years and i'm having a real hard time trying to convince myself to stop. tappin into some deep self esteem issues here, wish it wasn't such a big deal but it just is for some reason. weird, i know.
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form