Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Beads/wrapping at the root of dreads??

Mary3
@mary3
13 years ago
16 posts

So in the front of my head some of the roots of my dreads are all bubbled up and funky looking, so due to my mild "OCD" and yea.. vanity, I lightly wrapped just that root area of a few and put beads over the other ones.. I am wondering though, if this is going to prevent the root growth from dreading.. or do something negative.. I am hoping it will just calm the root area down after a few weeks or so.. Also, I know this has been a topic in many areas but I am wondering what the difference in maintenance is when the dreads grow and the roots dread as the growth happens.. and then when you see very mature locks at the ends of several inches to even a foot of un-dreaded root hair??? It may just be hair type or something?? I do not know!

updated by @mary3: 01/13/15 09:07:18PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

a foot?

i wouldnt out anything over the roots it restricts the movement so it wont dread right so it wil get longer b4 it dreads (i believe)

its normal to have undreaded hair at the roots

bu u mean loose hairs at the roots right

normal caucasian hair dreads at 6 inches

so its normal to have several inches undreaded around the dreads giving a softer "lions mane" look

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts

i think i know what you mean because mine are doing it too. my hair knots from the bottom up so at about 3 inches from my scalp (the root of the loc) isn't dreaded yet and kind of bunched up. i was kind of concerned about it but a friend on the forum said that it would work itself out in time. i was thinking of wrapping them with hemp in that section but they hurt too because of the uneven pulling its doing. i don't know. i think i'm going to just leave it be and hope that it figures it out on its own:)

Mary3
@mary3
13 years ago
16 posts

See my hair.. most of it.. dreads from the root and works its way down the dread.. so far.. I don't have an issue with loose hair.. there are just some that have these annoying bubbles coming out of the root area.. I think how Heather describes hers as bunched up is a proper image? SE I bet you are right about it not dreading right if the wraps are left on for long.. and Heather, you are wise and patient to let them be free! I wonder if I just left the wraps on for a few weeks and then took them off if my desired result will be achieved, without hindering the life of the dread.. you think?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

the bubbles are it dreading dont get annoyed get happy thats a good sign of proper dreading it will settle down on its own eventualy

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Mary3
@mary3
13 years ago
16 posts

I want to believe you... So I am going to remove the wraps today!

soaring eagle said:

the bubbles are it dreading dont get annoyed get happy thats a good sign of proper dreading it will settle down on its own eventualy

Shanxon Lemasters
@shanxon-lemasters
13 years ago
411 posts

There are a few that I shove beads up on them, to help keep them seperated they seem to dread just fine at the root, I mean there's less than 1/2 an inch that's not knotted, it could also be because the bead itself is not really tight so it doesn't stop the movement, I've also hemp wrapped a few and the growth seems a bit more "twisty" than the others but knotting still the same, I may just be lucky tho :P

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form