Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

umm grossness?

the airs full of polutants (and now radiation thnks to japan) anfd grime u sweat u get dirty they wuill get gross

3 months without washing? your scalp will be a bloody messs from scratching it will come off in chunks

ive done 2 months just cause we hacd no running water and it was gross

horrifying

never will do that again

i was gbegging for a chance to wassh them

i ended up washing them outside in a bucket in the col;dest weather i ever experiences

it was like -14 i had to do it fast as hell so i wouldnt freeze

it was brotally cold but i didn care i had to wash my hair

wash them plz

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Winnie
@winnie
13 years ago
5 posts

trust me when i say that you will stink!!

before i had my dreads, my son had his hair in dreads and didnt wash them for prolly about 3 months (back in the days where i knew nothing about maintenance) and he was just a kid, and he STUNK! its not pleasant honestly.. why dont you just do all the kaffuful with the ACV and oils just once a week and if you need to wash inbetween try a soap bar like bronners? :o)

Mary
@mary
13 years ago
140 posts

Don't feel silly, now you know. When I first got my dreads I was told to wait a month and then wash them with a stocking cap on. That one is kind of useless. You should seriously wash your dreads more often. Unlike cornrows and box braids your hair will not grow because of the dirt.

Choppah
@choppah
13 years ago
20 posts

i worked down at the beach when my dreads were 2 months old and i took a bath every day for 1 month and rinsed them when was done bathing.. they have dreaded like crazy so i have abused salt water to the limit and it helps.. they did not unravel at all, and all the loose hairs started making new ones as i went with tnr.. clean dreads are healthy dreazzzah

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

some sites recomend redidculouse things

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Mary
@mary
13 years ago
140 posts

Believe it or not the loctician that did my hair told me to wait a month, wash it with the stocking cap, and then go back to her for maintenace. I only went back a few months later to let her know that I was leaving town.

Somastefan said:

washing with a stocking cap on sounds ridiculous, Mary! who told you to do that?

updated by @mary: 07/23/15 03:42:16PM
Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts

you could probably get by with washing less but i wouldn't go 3 months. you could do "water only" washes on days you don't want to go through the whole routine. i would think though that if thefollicleson your scalp get clogged with dead skin, oils and dirt then you'll definitely slow the growth of your hair.

Heathen Hippie )O(
@heathen-hippie-o
13 years ago
164 posts

As far as specifically for dreadlocks, I couldn't tell you. And you won't necessarily get cancer, but SLS is the culprit in why so many calls are made to the FDA regarding shampoos and allergic reactions. Good luck with an answer to the other subject. I'm new to dreads myself. :)

Somastefan said:

I didn't know that would slow growth, I do dislike the feeling of all that gunk. I just bought some soap from Lush and tried it in the bath. I am a bit worried it contains SLS, though don't know how harmful SLS is. here is the link to the soap page with ingredients http://www.lush.co.uk/shop/product/product/path/143_181/id/121/hand... if somebody more knowledgeable could tell me if it's a good one to keep using i'd appreciate it.
Mary
@mary
13 years ago
140 posts

Believe it or not a lot of companies are using other ingredients instead of SLS. It makes your hair dry and brittle (well for me) Black soap or Doctor Bronners in COLD WATER should be fine.

Green Head
@green-head
12 years ago
31 posts

I have a mate who's got dead long dreads,

she uses wax on them,

crochets them and pulls more bacteria inside them,

she has kids,

and she smokes,

and smokes green,

and has pets,

and washes them every three months.