Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

I want to get dreads but when should i?

Bethany2
@bethany2
13 years ago
12 posts
I'm planning on getting dreads and using the back combing method but wasn't sure when I should. The longest part of my hair is about 10 and half inches and the shortest layer in my hair is 6 inches. Would that make the dreads look weird? Should I wait and let my hair grow out? About how much would my hair shrink up?
updated by @bethany2: 02/14/15 07:14:53PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

u can now i would not use the backcombn method id go natural or twist n rip

longer hair shrinks more aboyr 1/2 or more b4 mature

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Lacey Koll
@lacey-koll
13 years ago
14 posts

i started my dreads when my hair was just to my shoulders, so shorter than yours is now. the only issue was that i couldnt pull them back in a ponytail. i think doing dreads with layers in your hair actually looks really cool too =) my hair only shrunk about 2 inches or so. i used twist and rip, then id backcomb up the knots and twist and rip some more, and then backcomb, and just repeat that to the end of the dread

SillyWalkingMinister
@sillywalkingminister
13 years ago
327 posts

The answer is a resounding (and in Chuck Norris's voice) YES!

Pogie Theblueberries
@pogie-theblueberries
13 years ago
22 posts

GOOD LUCK W UR DREAD JOURNEY

Star Mercer
@star-mercer
13 years ago
34 posts
I started my journey with the backcombing method. I wouldn't advise it. I was completely disappointed with the outcome. Honestly, I think it prolonged the process. My hair detangled its self and completely resectioned its self. So not worth the time or effort. Just go natural.
Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts

if i hadn't gone natural than i would've chosen t&r. backcombing kills your arms unless you have friends that are going to do it for you. i personally think locks look better on hair that is layered. they're going to shrink at different rates anyhow so i would just go for it:)

Bethany2
@bethany2
13 years ago
12 posts

Thanks for all the answers, I went with twist and rip and they turned out pretty well =] I'm excited to start my dread journey.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

congrats

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
christina popejoy
@christina-popejoy
12 years ago
91 posts

I have started my new set recently with the back-comb method. As i didn't relay know what TnR was and this is also how i did my first ones. Is it really bad for starting dreads. I didn't pack it in really tight as I was doing it on my own, and my natural hairs is super curly and big so doesn't need too much encouragement to knot. Obv some methods like crochet causes damage but with most of the different methods of starting out, does that make the style of your dreads??

soaring eagle said:

u can now i would not use the backcomb method.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form