dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

UK Mum going the dread route

Puddytatpurr
@puddytatpurr
13 years ago
24 posts

Hey, I'm Sam.

I'm a 36 year old single mum to 4 teens, 3 cats, 4 snakes, a chinchilla, 2 ferrets and Isis the Fluffy Puppy!

We live on the Isle of Wight (bottom of the UK map).

I've wanted dreadlocks for AGES and thought it'd be pretty easy with my hair as it never looks neat and has a tendency to separate into tails before I can put a hairbrush down after brushing!

So on Thursday, my daughter and I just twisted my tails and did a bit of palm rolling. I didn't back comb or TnR (I don't like the way that looks and after reading the intro page, I was right not too!) and, other than washing it, I have left it alone.

I have never gone this long without brushing my hair! It feels rather strange TBH and at the moment it looks a mess. But, yesterday I made a headband to keep it off my face so it doesn't bother me too much.

updated by @puddytatpurr: 02/14/15 07:45:11AM
Puddytatpurr
@puddytatpurr
13 years ago
24 posts

Hey,

I started the journey on Thursday and I've washed once with Neutrogena T-Gel since, I've ordered an organic shampoo bar on etsy though here which I will switch to when it arrives.

I've just made up a salt spray mix today - 1.25oz of sea salt dissolved in 500ml of water. I've been told to spray it on, leave a few hours then wash off.

I'm just waiting for it to cool down then I'll spray it on and wash it off tonight when I have a bath!

You say you're waiting for baking soda to arrive - you do know it's just bicarbonate of soda, right? You can get it in supermarkets!

Did you start yours in a specific way? I rolled mine, but because I didn't backcomb or TnR they didn't majorly hold, so I guess you could say I'm going all natural method LOL

Would love to have a dread buddy :D

Sam xx

Puddytatpurr
@puddytatpurr
13 years ago
24 posts
Yep, this is the link http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/en/visoppskrift.php?d_nr=86&d_id=10&lang=us It's not very well written though (do a provisional cast on!)Don't forget the salt water is good for dreads.If you ever come to the Island to surf at Compton, let me know (I used to date a surfer)
Cricketine
@cricketine
13 years ago
14 posts
That is so funny! I just started that same pattern last night!!!

Puddytatpurr said:
Yep, this is the link http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/en/visoppskrift.php?d_nr=86&d_id=10&lang=us It's not very well written though (do a provisional cast on!)Don't forget the salt water is good for dreads.If you ever come to the Island to surf at Compton, let me know (I used to date a surfer)
Puddytatpurr
@puddytatpurr
13 years ago
24 posts
It's a nice quick pattern and very comfy to wear - although a bit warm.I'm on the hunt for a light headband that I can wear clubbing!
Puddytatpurr
@puddytatpurr
13 years ago
24 posts
Humph, washed my hair this morning & all my tails detangled - I'm pissed off now so I'm back combing the lot!
Puddytatpurr
@puddytatpurr
13 years ago
24 posts

And then some! It's been a week since I just stopped brushing and four days since I backcombed and I looked like this last night

I'm seeing dreads starting to form and I'm really pleased with how it's looking, even if it is a bit wild LOL

Took a baking soda bath yesterday - Oh wow! That felt great, going to order a bulk lot on eBay, I think! Someone sells about 25Kg for 25 - sounds like a good deal!

How's you're progress?

Puddytatpurr
@puddytatpurr
13 years ago
24 posts

I'm loving them - they don't feel quite so.......sticky outy LOL

Looking forward to seeing pics!

ExaltHimx7
@exalthimx7
13 years ago
336 posts
Welcome Sam! God Bless your journey']