Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

dreads predate money so why spend money for dreads

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
dreadlocks have been around long before money was invented, long before there was even the word "products". dreads began in a time when all man had was nature. everything man had then came from nature and theyre surroundings.this was also true of theyre maner of dress and how they wore theyre hair.dreads were the natural result of living the lives they lived.even centuries after the advent of currency dreading represented a rejection of that aspect of society, no longer buying into conventional ideas of beauty and all the products and beauty/fashion experts that went with it.dreads started drifting into common culture in the 70's and more and more became acceptable to an extent. then there surfaced companies wanting to capitalize on the trend.at 1st it was just some gels and conditioners, some of which were helpful to the african population that saw the biggest explosion in dread culture with the rise of the rastafarian religion. this population had a tendency towads a dryer hair that did benifit from some treatments like shea butter and aloe.in jaimaica i supose the 1st salons started to specialize in dread care in an attempt to not loose too much business with more and more turning to dreads.many of these would charge for a twist and gel "tightening".as the style became more popular among a greater population certain companies saw a market. in a way a slightly racist market but im not as assuming it was consciously so. they capitalized on the difference between hair types between races, creating the myth that only african hair dreads without effort. suddenly salons and products specializing in making non african hair dreadable.it was actualy pretty easy for them, they could simply point out that african hair was somewhat different and africans have alot of dreads, so if theyre hair is different you nit having that hair type must need something to get the same styles they had.this lead to an explosion of products and following right along with that technicians specially trained in using these products to create dreads. (does anyone remember the beginning of this story when nature was the technician that created dreads?)so, lets revue here..nature creates dreads without products or effortdreads can be made by man without products just effortdreads can be made with effort and products (although the products are detrimental to the procees for the most part)or dreads can be made professionally with products effort and a huge pricetagwhy is it that so many choose the last option 1st?why is the idea prevalent that professionally done dreads are better dreads despite all evidence to the contrary?is it just that dreads have become so misunderstood that we think only a hairdressers capable of creating them?or have we been intentionally mislead in the name of profits.

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 02/14/15 05:22:24AM
abraham vazquez
@abraham-vazquez
15 years ago
32 posts
idk but its way cheaper to just go natural all u really waste on ur hair is less than a dollar on baking soday and a dollar for some sea salt if u need it, :)
Matted Dew
@matted-dew
15 years ago
213 posts
is it just that dreads have become so misunderstood that we think only a hairdressers capable of creating them?-yes,and the idea that u must use a wax...
abraham vazquez
@abraham-vazquez
15 years ago
32 posts
yea everybody says their gonna "get" or "do" dreads when the truth is u actually grow em just let ur hairl wild and forget u have it
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
i get this question so often "where is the best place to get dreads done in (nyc texas chicago..insert any place here)" so often and over and over i have to tell them ..right where ya are..either go camping a few weeks or go to the beach..or do em yourself.. to which most reply "i cant afford to go camping a few weeks" which makes me wonder then how they can afford hundreds of dollars to "make" dreadsdreading should save ya money not cost hundredsi mean ive seen ppl spend more on dreads then i ever spent on a car..granted i always bought crappy cars just hoping they would at least make 1 trip from point a to point b..in a funny way thats sorta what theyre doing, buying crappy dreads just hoping they make it through the year without getting cut due to grossness

--
shaun saunders
@shaun-saunders
15 years ago
64 posts
gasoline was around before money and dreads you still buy it, pretty much everything of considerable value was around before money gold-silver-gems-metals yet we still pay for them so why should we not pay for dreadlocks if we can?
Didjeridurian
@didjeridurian
15 years ago
292 posts
I would apply the same arguent to all of those things you mentioned,Why on earth do we spend paper for gems from the earth? Are we that obsessed with "possession" and shiny things.Gasoline is not even meant to be used in the first place. We wouldn't need it if we did not set up such a poor civil structure for ourselves. Sunlight is free. Plants are free (when you grow and/or pick them yourself). All we need is given freely and anyhting we pay for is either unneccesary or a means to becoming free (i.e. paying for fossil fuels used to create carbon free technology)Money is a ridiculous concept that is finally crashing down. Let currency be reborn as fair trade shaun saunders said:
gasoline was around before money and dreads you still buy it, pretty much everything of considerable value was around before money gold-silver-gems-metals yet we still pay for them so why should we not pay for dreadlocks if we can?
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
i agree didjeand umm gasoline was not areound before money...before money dinasaurs werethey then dies rotted and became crude oilcrude oil then had to be refined to create gasoline which is not found unrefined in naturegasoline didnt show up till thousands of years after money

--
Jo
@jo
15 years ago
176 posts
I definitely thought I should order a "dread kit" when I told my husband this, he thought I was insane (he had dreads for 6-7 years) And he helped me start mine. I also thought at one point (before I met my husband) that I would have to find a salon that did dreads. And around this little town trying to be a city, there definitely isnt a salon that does dreads (a blessing in disguise) It's just there's so much incorrect information out there. If you google how to get dreads, you get alot of companies that want your money. And feed you lies. ex, the wax controversy on the dreadtv vlog. Which I actually watched the other day, and holy. What a load of crap. But anyways, now a days if you want to learn about something, you google it. And when you do, you get alot of crap. I think that's alot of the issue of people wanting dreads instantly because these companies promise you that they can.
Matted Dew
@matted-dew
15 years ago
213 posts
im purdy sure gasoline is refinednot always been aroundand jus like Didj sayd- y wuld u spend money on 'precious' gems?yah their pretty but WhhhhAH!?everything we (techincally) NEED is provided forr us FREEd{wupps just noticed SE already caught that gas part hahahah} shaun saunders said:
 / 7

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form