Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Employment W/Dreads

Curtis Lopez
@curtis-lopez
13 years ago
7 posts
Hey everyoneI just wanted to hear some of the workfields and careers you guys have..Also some story's of situations that you had to overcome while in the workplace due to dreads!
updated by @curtis-lopez: 02/14/15 03:52:15AM
Cameron Zion
@cameron-zion
13 years ago
45 posts

Only work related accident I personally know of is a friend of mine who pulled out one of his 16 year old dreads with an angle grinder at a construction site. He didnt seem to care too much though and has shaved them off recently

Construction and landscaping are jobs where you would never even be asked about your dreads but it is dusty so you have to keep them clean on the daily.

Kitchen work is cool they just make you thrown on a hat or bandana

My girlfriend is a grad student and teaches some classes at Tech and she has natural (neglect) dreadlocks, In a professional setting I think if you present yourself in a confident manner and are genuine respect is usually received. You get what you give I guess

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

ive worked in an IT office managing 200 website designers as well as was on the board of several non proffits i routinely met with the heads ofd all tye multinational multimillion budgetted non proffits as well as church and civic leaders and local and state politicians

my dreads were only mentioned once 1st day at work 9wore a tam for interview and 1st day came in wearing it but after couple hours took it off) after i took off the tam the president walked by my desk stops dead just says..wow.. then went on with his work

6 months later i was on the cover of the calandar and featured on the poster they ued as promo giveaways..

on this site we have a few drs several teachers many nurses and healthcare workers a couple professors a dozen phd holders including 1 in rocket science we have ppl doing every job imaginable several are business owners ceos and the like

your only limits are your willingness to give up or not try and give in to accepting the ignorance of others,

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Curtis Lopez
@curtis-lopez
13 years ago
7 posts
Very cool, I have countless ppl/fam that usually laugh n say good luck gettin a job. I usually just smile and say don't worry I'll be alright.. I'm really not worried about it. I've always loved dreads, and I'm finally at a point in my life that I can let my hair dread. I'm going neglect and i'm very excited. I'm not the kinda person to let what others say/think get in the way of me living the life I want to live..

soaring eagle said:

ive worked in an IT office managing 200 website designers as well as was on the board of several non proffits i routinely met with the heads ofd all tye multinational multimillion budgetted non proffits as well as church and civic leaders and local and state politicians

my dreads were only mentioned once 1st day at work 9wore a tam for interview and 1st day came in wearing it but after couple hours took it off) after i took off the tam the president walked by my desk stops dead just says..wow.. then went on with his work

6 months later i was on the cover of the calandar and featured on the poster they ued as promo giveaways..

on this site we have a few drs several teachers many nurses and healthcare workers a couple professors a dozen phd holders including 1 in rocket science we have ppl doing every job imaginable several are business owners ceos and the like

your only limits are your willingness to give up or not try and give in to accepting the ignorance of others,

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts
just tell em dont worry i wont need a job the apocolypse is comming and then they will need dreadheads to lead the armies of zombie mutants dont you ever watch the movies
"? after civilization falls the dreadheads are always in charge..so good luck to you getting a job then haha

Curtis Lopez said:
Very cool, I have countless ppl/fam that usually laugh n say good luck gettin a job. I usually just smile and say don't worry I'll be alright.. I'm really not worried about it. I've always loved dreads, and I'm finally at a point in my life that I can let my hair dread. I'm going neglect and i'm very excited. I'm not the kinda person to let what others say/think get in the way of me living the life I want to live..

soaring eagle said:

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Curtis Lopez
@curtis-lopez
13 years ago
7 posts
I guess I could tell them that, they already think I'm crazy for wanting dreads lmao

soaring eagle said:
just tell em dont worry i wont need a job the apocolypse is comming and then they will need dreadheads to lead the armies of zombie mutants dont you ever watch the movies
"? after civilization falls the dreadheads are always in charge..so good luck to you getting a job then haha

Curtis Lopez said:

soaring eagle said:

bertongkandule
@bertongkandule
13 years ago
8 posts
I'm a System Administrator in HP Philippines, they accept me with my dreads. Just tell them that, THIS IS ME!!!!! just prove to them that you are worthy ;)One Love man!
meg ☮
@meg
13 years ago
92 posts
I'm a busgirl at a restaurant and I just tie them back. Haven't had any problems :)
Terence
@terence
13 years ago
4 posts
I'm a Clinical Lab Scientist at a cancer center...the patients love em
Chels ;)
@chels
13 years ago
37 posts

Im a hair stylist in a upscale salon :) apart from being a regular stylist i am able to do dreadlocks aswell and educate people on proper ways to get dreads and how to keep them healthy. I actually got this amazing job right after i was finnished with my locks so i geuss it was meant tobe. One thing i love most about having dreads in the hair industry is some of the most conservative women come in and almost everyday i hear from them "Oh wow I love your hair! ive always wanted to have dreads but could never do it" and that defintly suprised the hell outta me geuss thats whatcha get for sterotyping

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form