dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

New and Hopefull.

Nina La GypsySpirit
@nina-la-gypsyspirit
13 years ago
3 posts

Hello. I'm new. ^_^

I've been thinking alot about getting dreads and have been prepping myself for this change. I know some people may not see this as a big deal, but in my eyes it is. It will be a big change and I want this to be a good step forward into a new chapter in my life.

I'm planning on starting mine in the next week or so. and I had a couple of questions.

My hair is about to my lower back, so i know its gonna take a little longer to do, buut i'm planning to do the twist and rip technique. Now, I'm latina and my hair is thick and pretty kinky.curly. I was just wondering if i do more of a thinner dread, if some of that curl will still be there. If anyone knows, let me know.

also, i WAS going to waste my non-existant monies and buy the products from dreadhead or some salon, but now that i've read through the site, i'm glad i decided to do one last info check. lol. But i was wondering, i did keep seeing some people mentioning using a salt/water spary mixture. Would that work/be beneficial with the twist and rip method of do i just not really worry about that.

I'm really hoping that once i get these babies going that they will look good. My plan is to just do the back of my head and keep the front part (the chunks that frame my face) loose from the rest. I do modeling and that way that can kinda create an illusion of curl if thats what the photo is looking for.

anyway. Thats my into. ^_^ I'm glad i stumbled across this site and look forward to meeting others who dont think that being dreaded is being a dirty hippie. ;)

~Nina

updated by @nina-la-gypsyspirit: 02/05/15 08:55:33PM
pelun
@pelun
13 years ago
18 posts
Good luck :) dont have tips beacuse i did the backcomb method and im also Latino and my hair was super curly lol but its been 8monthsthat ive had my dreads and im happy i did it
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

u can simply let it dread or do tnr the salt mixture helps but isnt nesacary

the curl might remasin for awhile but eventialy mught straighten mostly but then again they have a mind of their own

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Tati Bear
@tati-bear
9 years ago
13 posts

What up man? You'll still have your curly hair for a while I think if not for always. I'm Puerto Rican and Portuguese and my loose hair is very curly like ringletts from scalp to ends. I'm 4 months in right now and my tree roots are coming along pretty fast, probably because I had curly hair to begin with. My ends are loose instead of blunted and I want to keep them that way because of the way they curl. I say go for it and don't worry about it, your curls won't go anywhere. 

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
9 years ago
29,640 posts

tati this  was from 2011 i think shes well into mature dreads by now

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Tati Bear
@tati-bear
9 years ago
13 posts

Lmao good point man!