Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

UPDATE: 19 months- Backcombed

Matt Hunt
@matt-hunt
13 years ago
8 posts

I am just about at 5 months with my dreads, and I love them. I had my best friend (hair stylist) backcomb 1x1" sections into my head, and ended up with 37 (now 36, there's one on my the nape of my neck that will not dread- tried and tried and tried and have now just let it go to do it's own thing--maybe get eaten by another one around it). In the beginning I used elastic bands and wax, and had ditched that within the month. I was never a fan of the wax for texture or smell, and thankfully got rid of it all pretty easily (didn't use much). Now I just let them do their thing. I have interlocked a few, and although I hear nightmares of what it CAN do, those that have been interlocked are doing just fine. As they've grown out they ended up growing together, I just don't really touch them. I wear a wool tam while I sleep, and it really helps with the loose hairs.

I'd like to have less loose hair, but I am just going to let them go and see if the other dreads eat them up. If not, maybe I'll end up with more dreads than I started with :)

In the beginning, day 1, before and after.

Photobucket
Photobucket

1 week, first wash

Photobucket

The first month

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Two months, twice a week washing, occasionally a little less

Photobucket

Two and a half months, almost three

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Third Month, getting long enough to pull back. More loose hair, still exploring ways to get it back into the dreads

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

18 weeks

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Fourth Month

Photobucket
Photobucket

Five Months!

Photobucket

Let me know what you guys think! I have definitely noticed drastic improvement over the last two and a half months with less touching, no products, and increased washing (at least once a week).

--

UPDATE: It's been 19 months! Here are some more recent pics. I've changed my routines only a little- I make sure to sleep with a wool tam when I can remember/keep it on my head, which really helps with the loosies. I also stopped washing almost entirely- usually just about once every couple of months. I do rinse my scalp with just water here and there, but only wash (with Dr. Bronners diluted) once in a blue moon.

Cheers, & happy dreading!

updated by @matt-hunt: 02/14/15 08:27:09AM
lisasimpson
@lisasimpson
13 years ago
19 posts
Looks like we started our dreads around the same time... January? Nice job, they look amazing!
Matt Hunt
@matt-hunt
13 years ago
8 posts

thank you :)

I started mine sometime near the end of January/beginning of February. yours look great, too!

Matt Hunt
@matt-hunt
13 years ago
8 posts
Five months :)
Moneybags McGuilicutty
@moneybags-mcguilicutty
13 years ago
33 posts

thats what mine looks like and i started in january as well, sweet pics broseph

SensiScott
@sensiscott
13 years ago
12 posts

nice loks bro

Phil Hulford
@phil-hulford
13 years ago
38 posts

its encouraging to see someone who also backcombed and used wax at the start... im only 2 months in with same methods... natrual since week 2 after finding this site! nice one dude, keep us updated as they get longer :)

Castaway J
@castaway-j
13 years ago
585 posts

nice man, they look real nice.

Matt Hunt
@matt-hunt
12 years ago
8 posts

thank you!

Change~ said:

nice man, they look real nice.

Sussi
@sussi
12 years ago
84 posts

They look really good!

I would get a really itchy scalp if I didn't wash my hair every week. Is that not a problem for you?

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form