13 years ago
81 posts

Can you dye dreads with peroxide

updated by @colin2: 01/13/15 09:03:00PM
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
13 years ago
667 posts
You can lighten dreads with peroxide, but, two things will happen. First, they will turn an ugly orange, gold, diarrea color and two...you will fry your hair and possibly snap it off. Peroxide is the active ingrediant in hair color and the most damaging component. If used seperately from the other color ingrediants it is highly unstable and unbuffered. Please don't take that chance.
Nikki5
@nikki5
13 years ago
30 posts
To the best of my knowledge, lemon juice is the only natural way to lighten dreads. Henna only makes them darker or red.
Drew W
@drew-w
13 years ago
6 posts

I have used Manic Panic Flash Lightening on the tips of my dreadlocks. It turned my dark hair very light, but with anslight orange. I then used Manic Panic Virgin Snow toner which neutralised the orange effect and made it white.

The only thing I would say about dying my hair is thatsome of thetips became quite dry at first. I'd also recommend making sure that you get all the lightening creme out of your dreads when you rinse.

Tessa Smith
@tessa-smith
13 years ago
59 posts
I actually just dyed my hair and it came out orangey so I'm going to try the virgin snow toner you mentioned. So thank you for solving my problem :D

Drew West said:

I have used Manic Panic Flash Lightening on the tips of my dreadlocks. It turned my dark hair very light, but with anslight orange. I then used Manic Panic Virgin Snow toner which neutralised the orange effect and made it white.

The only thing I would say about dying my hair is thatsome of thetips became quite dry at first. I'd also recommend making sure that you get all the lightening creme out of your dreads when you rinse.

Drew W
@drew-w
13 years ago
6 posts

Hi Tessa,

I think that Manic Panic do a few toners, the Virgin Snow will give a white look providing that your hair has been sufficently pre-lightened. It's probably worth cecking their website to see what they recommend.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form