Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Beads and Your Dreads

Patricia Fox
@patricia-fox
13 years ago
42 posts

I would like to hear how everyone beads their dreads.

For example I remove all of my beads once a week when I wash my dreads. I figure this helps during the drying process so that no hair is left wet or molding.

Do you remove yor dread decorations when washing?

Also where do you buy your dread decorations?

updated by @patricia-fox: 02/14/15 03:31:19AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

any i put in dont come out

but i try not to put in big ones anymore

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
ashley ✿
@ashley
13 years ago
167 posts
i just stick em in, and let em be, if i remember to, i will move the bead up to a dry piece of the dread and then let under the bead dry, but i usually dont remember...which is bad but mehhh...i got my beads from various places. wal mart, fred meyers (they sell europe beads or something like that, they will fit on skinny dreads) i made three of the beads i wear and then the others i got from this local bead shop..the guy has like a HUGE basket full of glass beads that are a little messed up and sell for WAY cheap..i am going to go back, and buy more...
Patricia Fox
@patricia-fox
13 years ago
42 posts
Great information everyone!
V0rN
@v0rn
13 years ago
16 posts
I made some beads out of a piece of bamboo just sanded them dwn with sandpaper to the finish i wanted. I also cut the end off a drum stick and hollowd it out and chucked that in . Just have a look round hme im sure u will find some item that u can mould into a beautiful bead. Good luck!!!! :D
Shanxon Lemasters
@shanxon-lemasters
13 years ago
411 posts
I have one glass frog bead that doesn't move, nor do I think it can >.< the rest of mine move around freely and once the dread become "compact" enough I usually find beads laying around that have slipped off that I forgot I had in, or that just decided they didn't wanna live on that dread anymore. I do move them around quite a bit (the ones that can move) after washing or whatever and I don't have any big bulky ones, I had a "barefoot" cork bead in but it was so big that I was afraid of that dread not drying well enough so I removed it shortly after.
Amelia Nantume Marie Mayer
@amelia-marie-dreadybear
13 years ago
18 posts

I used to have a shell on one of my dreads. I never took it off. Found it walking down the beach one day, and it had a perfect hole for my dready. I never had a problem with the dread beneath drying, but it was one of those spiraly shells, and had alot of holes in it. I agree with VoRN. You should take a look around home, you'd be suprised at what you find, and it makes it all that more personal of a bead/ornament. :)

Patricia Fox
@patricia-fox
13 years ago
42 posts
Very cool. I got some from Knotty Boy too

Kristina P said:

I take mine out every day cuz i can't sleep on them. Found lots of wooden beads at craft stores [brand name Darice] or online at odd ball shops.

Bought some from Knotty Boy, too, at the holidays they had a misc pack where you just pick your beads to try diff. ones out.

I laso bought some big beads that had too small of holes and my hubby drilled them bigger for me

Patricia Fox
@patricia-fox
13 years ago
42 posts
Your shell bead sounds really cool.

Amelia Nantume Marie Mayer said:

I used to have a shell on one of my dreads. I never took it off. Found it walking down the beach one day, and it had a perfect hole for my dready. I never had a problem with the dread beneath drying, but it was one of those spiraly shells, and had alot of holes in it. I agree with VoRN. You should take a look around home, you'd be suprised at what you find, and it makes it all that more personal of a bead/ornament. :)

Gabriella Smith
@gabriella-smith
13 years ago
12 posts
I just keep my in. I even kept them in when I dyed my hair purple. :-p A lot of the beads I have in my hair are woven in to place too.
 / 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form