Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Might need to say goodbye to my dreadies!

Doogie
@doogie
13 years ago
321 posts

Well, I am now in a healthy relationship BUT I might need to say goodbye to my dreadies! My gfcome from aCatholic family and was telling me thather parentsare very judgmental! She said she doesn't want to tell me what to do because she said it would make her feel bad if I'd change my looks for her!.....My dreads are only 6.5mths and I told her I'd like to give them a fighting chance. Argh, I'm kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place (please refer to The Simpson's Movie)!

I like this girl a lot and have no idea of what to do!

Do I cut/shave them off to impress her parents? (Though I'm not out to really impress anyone)!

Any suggestions will be helpful!

Thank you

Peace & Happiness Always,

Doogie

P.S. Wasn't sure where to post this! Figured between General Talk and Help, Save My Dreads so I just put it in General Talk!

updated by @doogie: 02/14/15 08:06:42AM
L-ray Sepulvado
@l-ray-sepulvado
13 years ago
25 posts
If you do decide to get rid of em, i would consider just combing them out, instead of cutting all your hair off
Jdwood
@jdwood
13 years ago
275 posts
Not being yourself for someone else in the long run is not a good idea. Impressing someones parents is overrated.
Doogie
@doogie
13 years ago
321 posts

Thank you Amanda and Jd! That;s the support I was looking for!

My gf doesn't mind my dreads and said it's her parents she worries about with my dreads. She's dating me for me even though we've only know each other for about 6mths but have been texting and whatnot since around Xmas and got to know each other a little better. She's open minded like me and is also a hippie but she need to hide that a little because of her job aspart of managementat a Boscov's store.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

emotional suports where it belongs ill move it but hell no dont cut them

let the judgmental parents have theyre closed minds pried open

talk the gf into dreading too

but do nothing to impress the parents ..or you'll be sitting through church wearring a suite and tie becomming an architech (or whatever daddy dsioes and tries to get u to do too)

close minded judgemental ppl will tey to turn u into them dont ya dare buckle and cave you will regret it forever and resent this chick as the worse mistake of yoir life

believe me..i did that onvce

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Chels ;)
@chels
13 years ago
37 posts
DONT DO IT! honestly why would you want to impress people who cant look beyond your hair. So what if they dont like it, my husbands parents are super conservative..they freaked out thanksgiving when we showd up with dreads but ohh well we r adults and our dreads mean so much to us. Now yeh his mom kinda says her little comments but its not a big deal anhymore you just have to get over that innitial shock. Once you change one thing about yourself its all down hill from there dude. And really i wouldnt care what her parents think its not like your sleeping with them lol
Doogie
@doogie
13 years ago
321 posts

@ Personal Jesus - No, it doesn't matter what they think. IF I do do it it's out of respect! I mean it's bad enough that I don't have a real job and on disability for the 2 rods and 6 screws in my lower back and have been trying and fighting to keep my business up and running!

@ Chels - No, I'm not sleeping with them nor her at the moment since we just started dating! I mean when I do meet the parents, I could always wear my tam to hide them for a little bit!

@ SE - I played the game before with my 2nd set by shaving them off for a woman just for the relationship to last maybe 5mths! 1st set came off for a job for lousy pay then they laid me off permanently after 4mths! And there's NO WAY I'll wear a suit and tie and go to church! Played that game too and while sitting in church I realized that it went against all my beleifs! Hell, I'm not even wearing a suit if/when I get married! I'm wearing my patchwork pants, dashiki and going barefoot!

She did tell me that the only 2 things keeping her from dreads are 1. her parents and 2 her job!

IDK I'll see where things lead before I let them go IF I let them go!

Chels ;)
@chels
13 years ago
37 posts
hahaha! ok wear you tam good idea..basicly if they like you they like you. with or without dreadlocks. comming from being a mom the only thing i would care about with the person my daughter was dating is if he was kind, put his effort into the relationship, didnt make her do all the work, and genuinly cared about her well being. He could be a troll for all i care as long as he treats her right

Doogie said:

@ Personal Jesus - No, it doesn't matter what they think. IF I do do it it's out of respect! I mean it's bad enough that I don't have a real job and on disability for the 2 rods and 6 screws in my lower back and have been trying and fighting to keep my business up and running!

@ Chels - No, I'm not sleeping with them nor her at the moment since we just started dating! I mean when I do meet the parents, I could always wear my tam to hide them for a little bit!

@ SE - I played the game before with my 2nd set by shaving them off for a woman just for the relationship to last maybe 5mths! 1st set came off for a job for lousy pay then they laid me off permanently after 4mths! And there's NO WAY I'll wear a suit and tie and go to church! Played that game too and while sitting in church I realized that it went against all my beleifs! Hell, I'm not even wearing a suit if/when I get married! I'm wearing my patchwork pants, dashiki and going barefoot!

She did tell me that the only 2 things keeping her from dreads are 1. her parents and 2 her job!

IDK I'll see where things lead before I let them go IF I let them go!

Doogie
@doogie
13 years ago
321 posts
I'm with ya there Chels! That's me! :-)
Colin2
@colin2
13 years ago
81 posts
Um just prove them u have clean hair,slot of people that's not experienced with dreads think they're dirty and prove them wrong wit the stereotypes about dreads
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form