Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

super tight zig zags

Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts
so my hair seems to like to zig zag up from the bottom and make a huge hanging mass on the ends. i have one that's pretty big and it has some hairs that are pulling on my scalp. i tried to loosen it today using conditioner and olive oil but its not budging. does anyone else have weird dreadlocks like me? how do i go about relieving the tension on my scalp without cutting the dang thing off? it seems to get tighter everyday. oh and the section is kind of triangle shaped, could that be the reason?
updated by @heather: 01/13/15 09:00:09PM
Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts
i love zig zags too but in mine they bunch up super tight and big on the bottom and one inparticularis causing someuncomfortablepulling on my scalp. no fun.
Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts
yeah, i tried that. it's too tight. they aren't budging. i just hope i don't end up with a bald spot down the road from the constant pulling.
Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts
thanks for the suggestions:)

Kaleidoscope Eyes said:
Im sure that won't happen. Good luck, by the way your progress is great :)
Kass
@kass
13 years ago
33 posts
Pics maybe?
Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts
i don't have one at the moment. you can see some of my zig zags from last months timeline pic on my page. they've shrunk up about 2 - 3 inches though. i think thats why this one dreadlock is so big. it's just gobbling all the hair from the bottom up and causing pain on my scalp.

Kass said:
Pics maybe?
Bird
@bird
13 years ago
74 posts
Same thing happened to me. I have bunches at the bottom of the majority of my dreads, but one in particular decided to form in the worst possible way (a four inch line, not a square shape). The tension on my scalp got too painful, and i tried separating it into two dreads, but it didn't budge. In the end, I had to cut off the dread glob and comb it out to let it start anew. I don't regret it at all... that shit was starting to hurt! Best of luck!
Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts
oh wow. well, i hope i don't have to cut it because it will be about 6 inches long. mine are all different sizes. i have triangles, rectangles and squares. i'm not sure what will happen in the end. i guess i'm just going to wait and see. i just wish they weren't developing this way.

Bird said:
Same thing happened to me. I have bunches at the bottom of the majority of my dreads, but one in particular decided to form in the worst possible way (a four inch line, not a square shape). The tension on my scalp got too painful, and i tried separating it into two dreads, but it didn't budge. In the end, I had to cut off the dread glob and comb it out to let it start anew. I don't regret it at all... that shit was starting to hurt! Best of luck!
Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts
it seems to be the tighter they knot up they start to turn as they're climbing towards the root and i think the turning is whats causing the pulling on certain hairs.

fancyAmanda said:
Ah mine are all ridiculous shapes at the moment... I've got some that are zig zags from root to tip, and others that are huge at the tip and skinny at the root. Luckily no pulling on the scalp though, sounds tricky. If it's only a few hairs that are pulling I would just take a pair of small scissors and try to cut them at the root. Not sure what other options you might have, good luck!
Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts
i tried that already. it didn't budge but its super soft now:/ i guess i'm just going to have to wait it out and see what happens. i think the only way to loosen it would be to cut it off and i'm not ready for anything drastic like that yet.

Alessandra said:
Try a little oil or conditioner on the section of hair where you are experiencing the pulling and see if that helps loosen it up.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form