Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

My Natural Dreads Timeline-Dreadlocks can form fast with neglect

Kass
@kass
13 years ago
33 posts

To begin: I had a severe issue with brushing my hair. I would brush it probably upwards of 50 times a day. Because of this it's damaged.

Yes yes that's right, I'm going natural! It's been two weeks now, and I have probably ~20 baby dreads , and the rest are already sectioned off and ready to form!

Here are a few pictures to whet your appetite

Before dreading. That's me at the bottom making the stupid face. This is from December but it's literally the most recent picture I could find where I didn't look too terrible.

Here's my hair after 1 day. As you can see it's starting to section already! I think.

Here I am on day 7! My hair's a little more sectiony and I have an example of a few large loops starting. I have pictures of little baby dreads I had, but you can hardly tell they are baby dreads at all so I won't upload them here.

Yay! More hair pictures and another shot of a baby dread. Like I said, I probably have about 20 of them now, but obviously I won't post them all.

I can't wait to see what my hair will look like a week from now, let alone a month!

Going natural is so incredibly rewarding. I know if you want dreads, it might seem like it will take forever, but trust me, I am SO glad I did it this way!! I would never turn back!

updated by @kass: 01/22/20 09:33:16AM
Kass
@kass
13 years ago
33 posts
Also, I don't think my camera is very good, and I also don't know how to use it, so excuse the shitty pictures.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

featured yay love it

edited the title too

definately going to want to watch your progress

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
AlwaysByourself
@alwaysbyourself
13 years ago
17 posts
looking great for just starting! i wish my hair locked up as fast as yours!
Lou Lou
@lou-lou
13 years ago
28 posts

I've always thought natural dreads would take ages to lock up, just proves ts faster than expected :)

Elise4
@elise4
13 years ago
8 posts
I am just 4 days into not combing my hair and I have lots of tangles and loops already. I did not expect it to happen this fast either. My hair is quite long andI keep going out in the wind so I am sure that helps a lot. Anyway, your hair is coming along great. Cute little dreadies!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts
usualy natural dreads dread unexpectedly fast

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Kass
@kass
13 years ago
33 posts

YAY! 3 WEEK UPDATE!

Blurry picture, but you can see how messy it's looking!!

Shot of the back :D

My most shrunken up dread. It's nutty!

One of the bigger loops I could find.

Here is a baby loop. I have a bunch of these!!

That's all for now. YAY!!

updated by @kass: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Kass
@kass
13 years ago
33 posts

Sooo it's been 7 weeks now! sorry I suck at updating. But, here you go, the continuation of my dreadlocks adventure:

My shirt says "This is what a feminist looks like." I am not wearing a bra, sorry.

I don't know if you can see it, but there is a large gap in the middle of my hair. Awkward shrinkage.

My camera sucks. Sorry. Oh well. Maybe you can see how crazy it's going.

Me showing off some of the shrinkage back there. You can see the sectioning that has happened.

My craziest loopy guy!! :)

So, at this point, mostly the underneath back of my hair has dreaded fully (not locked up of course, but you know what I mean). However, the top is beginning it's journey at this point--here's an example!

This is a terrible picture because my camera. However, this is my biggest, thickest dread. I call it Big Mama. Big Mama is thick and huge and nasty. I love it. I don't know if I should put a bead on her at this point? I don't know how beads work. But yeah.

The front here is beginning to knot up too!

Many of my dreads look like this. Lots of shrinkage, big clumps of loopy madness. Not sure what to do with them, haha.

This is my favorite dread!! AH! It's awesome. :)

What happened to that retarded dread, you ask? Well, I put a bead on it, and it's still retarded. I took it off now, but, eh. The rest is beginning to knot up at this point. I'm hoping it will dread at some point, because right now it still feels like a kind of harsh mess of clumpy hair. Not soft and cuddly. :(

So, that's it for now! I'll be back in a week or more. :)

updated by @kass: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts
looking good!! i had clumps like that but they were causing so much stress and pulling i ended up undoing some of the clumps and putting beads on them so they don't pull up like that. one of mine was so big (over 3" wide) and it took days to dry. i ended up cutting it on either side and then wrapping it in hemp. my scalp is much happier now. just make sure your clumps dry before washing to avoid mold. i've been blow drying my hair lately just to be sure.
 / 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form