Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Going Natural! I have some Q's though!

Dahlia
@dahlia
13 years ago
30 posts

Hello, everyone. I just joined today but I have been lurking for months. Well I wished I would have found this site last year it would have saved me the pain of last night (brushed out my crocheted dreads). I plan on going all natural the way nature intended. I brushed them out because this isn't what I wanted. I am spiritual, and forcing my dreads made me feel cheap. Hair dreads on its own, why force something that will be an amazing experience. Now I have a few questions!

1) My hair is SUPER curly and thick. Well not so much some spots are thin because I cut out a few dreads last night. It tends to mat more than dread. Is there a way to turn a mat into a dread? Or will it work itself out?

2) How often should I wash my hair? As of now I wash my hair maybe twice a week. It is so thick, that it never looks oily unless I got 3 weeks without washing.

3) How long on average how long it take before I noticed some progress? Amongst my crochet dreads I found one natural one but I for the life of me don't know how long it was there or how it took to get there. Lol. My hair is shoulder length. I would post a pictures but all my pictures of me I straightened my hair so it wouldn't be accurate. Plus they are old when I had shorter hair. But I am not looking for an exact time but an average sort of thing!

I love this site btw! So informative, so friendly!

updated by @dahlia: 02/14/15 03:35:34AM
Clayton
@clayton
13 years ago
76 posts

Welcome to the site first of all :D Now, to the questions. I'll answer as best as I can, since our hair is similar.

1. Dreads are basically circular mats, really. When the hair mats, it's on the way to becoming a dread.

2. Twice a week is good. Once a week is what I do, since I don't get oily at all. Make sure to use residue-free shampoo and don't condition.

3. For curlier hair, it seems around 8 months to 1 year and 2 months is usual. I'm about half-way to dreads (I think) at 5-6ish months.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

1 seperate often so the general mattednes isseperated into indivi\dual dreads

u may have to seperate alot early on

2 1-3 times a week is best so as u do now is fine

3 varies alot some literaly dread overnight (rare) most see sectioning withing a week or 2

most see dreading in the 1st couple months some take monger im guessing you will dread ina month or 2 maybe faster ..possibly slower but im guessing faster

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dahlia
@dahlia
13 years ago
30 posts

@ soaringeagle- Thanks for the info! That would be awesome to have hair that dreaded overnight, if you wanted dreads! I think my hair might start dreading within the month, or have some coming in. I went 2 days without brushing my hair and it started matting! So I will section the mats, good to know!

`

@Clayton- Thanks for the response! When I crocheted my dreads they tried to curl after I washed them. I didn't wash them for 2 weeks after making them. Basically what I am trying to ask, do you dreads try to curl or anything like that? Once my hair starts matting more and making dreads I will go down to once a week. Man my head is sore brushing out the original ones. Oddly enough the natural one was so hard to brush out I actually had to cut it out. Now I wish I kept it. D:

Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts
i saw this girl on youtube and she basically separated her hair by twisting her sections together. she has super curly hair so they dreaded really fast. you might try that when your separating your mats. it might help encourage your hair to stay separated during the dreading process. you wouldnt have to twist them tight or anything. here's the link to one of her video in case your interested
. good luck with your natural journey:)
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

post pics often start a timeline im expecting it to dread fast

they will curl the curls tighten into knots just let em and wash when u wash they know ..at least weekly or more

--
Brandy :]
@brandy
13 years ago
106 posts

Welcome to the site! im so happy we can all be with you through your dready journey! Natural isdefinitelythe way to go!

1. Section! sectioning will allow the mats to become dreads! my hair does the same and it is proceeding wonderfully.

- i thought maybe sectioning w/ rubberbands would help, DEFINATELY not.lol soaring eagle set me on the right

path so one thing ive learned, is SE gives advice, take it :)

2. Wash when you feel its needed, i was when my hair/scalp starts to get a tad oily, dry hair dreads the best :)

- choose your shampoo wisely.

3. I dont know much about curly hair, but it is said to dread faster :)

- b

Dahlia
@dahlia
13 years ago
30 posts
Thanks everyone! I appreciate everything!!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

hehe u should not say "if se gives you advice take it " that gives me a dangerouse ammount of power muhahahaha

instead u should concider it at least ;)

--
Brandy :]
@brandy
13 years ago
106 posts
lolyou are right :) my bad, i was meaning to put 'if he gives you dread advice take it' hahaha
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form